This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the Fuel Distribution and the In-cylinder Flow Field in a Stratified Charge Engine Using Laser Techniques and Comparison with CFD-Modelling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents an investigation of a Volvo Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) engine, where the fuel distribution and the in-cylinder flow field have been mapped by the use of laser techniques in an engine with optical access. Along with the experimental work, CFD-modelling of flow and fuel distribution has been performed.
Laser Induced Fluorescence (LIF) visualisation of the fuel distribution in a DI-engine has been performed using an endoscopic detection system. Due to the complex piston crown geometry it was not possible to monitor the critical area around the sparkplug with conventional, through the piston, detection. Therefore, an endoscope inserted in the spark plug hole was used. This approach gave an unrestricted view over the desired area.
In addition, the in-cylinder flow fields have been monitored by Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) through cylinder and piston.
The results from both the LIF and the PIV measurements have been compared with CFD-modelling at Volvo. The validation was made at part load when the engine was operating in stratified mode, i.e. late injection during the compression phase. Qualitative agreement was found between the calculated and measured fuel distribution around the spark plug prior to ignition.
Also the PIV measurements showed a promising agreement with the flow fields obtained by CFD-modelling. In addition, the transportation properties of the fuel distribution that was monitored by LIF could to a great extent be explained by the results from the PIV measurement and the CFD-modelling.
All three techniques showed promising agreements with each other and the measured properties could be used to further increase the accuracy of the CFD-modelling. The close collaboration and comparison between different techniques described in this paper increased the understanding of the processes going on in the combustion chamber.
- L-O. Carlsson - Volvo Car Components Corp.
- M. Dahlberg - Volvo Car Components Corp.
- J. Nisbet - Volvo Car Components Corp.
- H. Simonsen - Volvo Car Components Corp.
- M. Richter - Lund Institute of Technology
- B. Axelsson - Lund Institute of Technology
- M. Aldén - Lund Institute of Technology
- G. Josefsson - Volvo Technological Development Corp.
CitationRichter, M., Axelsson, B., Aldén, M., Josefsson, G. et al., "Investigation of the Fuel Distribution and the In-cylinder Flow Field in a Stratified Charge Engine Using Laser Techniques and Comparison with CFD-Modelling," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3540, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3540.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
SAE 1999 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
- Baritaud T. A. Heinze T. A. “Gasoline DistributionMeasurements with PLIF in a SI Engine” S.A.E. paper 922355 1992
- Neij H. Johansson B. Aldén M. “Development of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines” Combustion and Flame 99 449 457 1994
- Wolff D. Schlüter H. Beushausen V. Andresen P. “Quantitative Determination of Fuel Air Mixture Distributions in an Internal Combustion Engine using PLIF of Acetone” Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 97 12 1738 1741 1993
- Hansson R. K. “Combustion diagnostics: Planar imaging techniques” Twenty-first Symposium on Combustion/The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1677 1691 1986
- Neij H. Johansson B. Aldén M. “Development and Demonstration of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines” Combustion and Flame 99 449 457 1994
- Eckbreth A. C. Laser diagnostics for combustion temperature and species 2nd 90-5699-532-4 Gordon and Breach Science Publishers SA Amsterdam 1996
- Winklhofer E. Fraidl G. K. MTZ 1998
- Koopmans L. “Temperature measurements in GDI piston using telemetry techniques” Volvo Internal Report LM 139445 1997
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- White F. M. Fluid Mechanics Third McGraw-Hill 1994
- Richter M. Axelsson B. Aldén M. “Engine Diagnostics Using Laser Induced Fluorescense Signals Detected Through an Endoscopic Detection System.” SAE paper 98FL-365 1998
- Lee J. G. Santavicca D. A. “Fiber-Optic Probe for Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurements of the Fuel-Air Distribution in Gas-Turbine Combustors” Journal of Propulsion and Power 13 3 384 387 1998
- Werlberger P. Rokita R. Chmela F. “Observation of Fuel Injection and Combustion by Use of an Endoscopic Video System” Proceedings of IMechE Seminar on Measurement and Observation Analysis of Combustion in Engines London Mechanical Engineering Publications 39 56 22 Mars 1994
- Felton P. G. Kyritsis D. C. Fulcher S. K. “LIF Visualisation of Liquid Fuel in the Intake Manifold During Cold Start” SAE paper 952464 1995
- Haneishi H. Yagihashi Y. Miyake Y. “A New Method for Distortion Correction of Electronic Endoscope Images” IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. 14 548 555 1995
- Dantec Measurement Technology “FlowMap Installation & User's guide” 1997
- Raffel M. Willert C. Kompenhaus J. “Particle Image Velocimetry” Springer Verlag 1998
- Hildenbrand F. Schulz C. Sick V. Josefsson G. Magnusson I. Andersson Ö. Aldén M. “Laser Spectroscopic Investigation of Flow Fields and NO-Formation in a Realistic SI Engine” SAE Detroit Feb 1998
- Josefsson G. Magnusson I. Hildenbrand F. Schulz C. Sick V. “Multidimensional laser diagnostic and numerical analysis of NO formation in a gasoline engine” Twenty-Seventh Symposium (International) on Combustion Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1998
- FIRE Manual v6.2b AVL List Gmbh Graz 1996
- Duclos J. -M. Zolver M. “3D Modeling of Intake, Injection and Combustion in a DI-SI Engine under Homogeneous and Stratified Operating Conditions.” Proceedings of the fourth international symposium on diagnostics and modeling of combustion in internal combustion engines 335 340 1998