This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Mini-tunnel Operating Parameters and Ambient Conditions on Diesel Particulate Measurement and Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the objective of optimising the measurement procedure, the influence of different operating parameters of a certification-like dilution mini-tunnel, such as the dilution ratio and the filtering temperature, is firstly presented in this paper. By means of an environmental chamber, both blank and charged filters were subjected to a range of different temperature and humidity conditions, as well as to different conditioning time periods. In all cases the weighted filters from the mentioned tests were subjected to a soxhlet extraction method, which permitted the chemical analysis of both the soluble organic fraction by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, and the insoluble one by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and infrared spectrography. Also the contribution of fuel and lubricant to the particulate matter was determined. All this information was related to the mini-tunnel operating parameters and to the ambient conditions.
As a result of this experimental study some guidelines are given for measurement, handling and weighting of Diesel particulates in further particulate studies, as well as a quantification of the errors due to the tested variables.
CitationLapuerta, M., Armas, O., Ballesteros, R., and Durán, A., "Influence of Mini-tunnel Operating Parameters and Ambient Conditions on Diesel Particulate Measurement and Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3531, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3531.
SAE 1999 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
- Mori, K. “World trends in heavy-duty diesel engine exhaust emission legislation and compliance technologies” Mitsubishi Motors Corporation SAE paper 970753 1997
- Hori, S. Kazuyuki, N. “Fuel composition effects on sof and PAH emissions from DI Diesel engines” SAE paper SP-1328, 980507 1998
- Kouremenos, D.A. Hountalas, D.J. Kouremenos, A.D. “Experimental investigation of the effect of fuel composition on the formation of pollutants in direct injection Diesel engines” SAE paper SP-1444, 1999-01-0189 1999
- Schmidt, K. Gerpen, J. “The effect of biodiesel fuel composition on Diesel combustion and emissions” Iowa State University SAE paper SP-1181, 961086 1996
- Uchida, M. Akasaka, Y. “A composition of emissions from clean Diesel fuels” SAE paper SP-1412, 1999-01-1121 1999
- Barbella, R. Ciajoto, A. D'Anna, A Bertoli, C. “Effect of aromaticity on Diesel emissions” Combustion and Flame 77 267 277 1989
- Ikegami, M. Li, X.H. Nakayama, Y. Hiwa, K. “Trends and origins of particulate and hydrocarbon emissions from a Direct Injection Diesel engine” SAE paper 831290 1983
- Ikegami, M. Li, X.H. Yoshibara, Y. Inagaki, H. “A study of soluble organic fraction in particulates emitted from a high speed Direct- Injection Diesel engine” SAE 890465 1989
- Hwang, J.W. Kal, H.J. Kins, M.H. Park, J.K. Shenghua, L. Martychenko, A.A. Chae, J.O. “Effect of fuel injection rate on pollutant emissions in DI Diesel engine” SAE paper SP-1415, 1999-01-0195 1999
- Fuchs, T.R. Rutland, C.J. “Intake flow effects on combustion and emissions in a Diesel engine” SAE paper SP-1328, 980508 1998
- Tanis, K.V. Wickman, D.D. Montgomery, D,T. Das, S. Reitz, R.D. “The influence of boots pressure in emissions and fuel consumption of a heavy-duty single-cylinder DI Diesel engine” SAE paper SP-1427, 1999-01-0840 1999
- Muntean, G.G. “A theorical model for the correlation of smoke number to dry particulate concentration in Diesel exhaust” Cummins Engine Company SAE paper 1999-01-0515 1999
- McDonald, J.S. Plee, S.L. D'Arcy, J.B. Schreck, R.M. “Experimental measurements of the independent effects of dilution ratio and filter temperature on Diesel exhaust particulate samples” SAE paper 800185 1980
- Frisch, L.E. Johnson, J.H. Leddy, D.G. “Effect of fuels and dilution ratio on Diesel particulate emissions” SAE paper 790417 1979
- Campbell, J. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The effect of fuel injection rate and timing on the physical, chemical, and biological character of particulate emissions from a direct injection Diesel” SAE paper 810996 1981
- Kantola, T. Bagley, S. Gratz, D. Leddy, D Johnson, J. “The influence of a low sulfur fuel and a ceramic particle trap on the physical, chemical, and biological character of heavy-duty diesel emissions” SAE paper 920565 1992
- Hernández, J.J. Ballesteros, R. Amat, F. 2 213 220 1998
- De Lucas, A. Durán, A. Carmona, M. Lapuerta, M. “Characterization of soluble organic fraction in DPM: optimization of extraction method” SAE paper . 1999-01-3532 1999
- Lipkea, W. Johnson, J. Vuk, C. “The physical and chemical character of Diesel particulate emissions-measurement techniques and fundamental considerations” SAE paper 780108 1978
- Plee. S.L. MacDonald, J.S. “Some mechanisms affecting the mass of Diesel exhaust particulate collected following a dilution process” SAE paper 800186
- Amann, C.A. Stivender, D.L. Plee, S.L. McDonald, J.S. “Some rudiments of Diesel particulate emissions” SAE paper 800251 1980