This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Potential Analytical Methods for Stability Testing of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A literature evaluation of potential oxidative and thermal stability test methods for biodiesel and biodiesel blends with petrodiesel, as well as the known effects of stability related issues on performance in the field, has been completed. The advantages and disadvantages of the selected potential test methods were compiled to form a basis for further consideration and rating of the test methods. The literature search and rankings were peer reviewed by experts in the oleochemical, petroleum diesel, and diesel engine manufacturing fields. Based on the peer-reviewed rankings, limited bench scale testing was performed on selected test methods and various modifications to determine their applicability to biodiesel and biodiesel blends. For various reasons, none of the methods (as written) appeared to be reliable indicators of performance with biodiesel or its blends.
Modifications of ASTM 2274 (Accelerated Method), the ASTM 150°C high-temperature stability test (commonly referred to as the duPont F-21 or Thermal Stability), and ASTM D 4625 (43°C Long Term Storage) test methods were identified that may enhance their ability to accurately and reliably predict the performance of biodiesel and biodiesel blends. A working group was formed within the biodiesel task force of ASTM to further evaluate biodiesel stability testing methods. The information developed from this effort will be summarized in an appendix of the ASTM standard for biodiesel (currently a provisional standard), which is similar to that contained in the ASTM petroleum diesel fuel standard, ASTM D 975.
CitationStavinoha, L. and Howell, S., "Potential Analytical Methods for Stability Testing of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3520, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3520.
SAE 1999 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
- Howell, Steve U.S. Biodiesel Standards- An Update of Current Activities SAE Paper No. 971687 1997
- American Society For Testing and Materials, ASTM Annual Book of ASTM Standards 05.01 - 0.05.03 100 Barr Harbor Drive, Conshohocken, PA 19428 1997
- Stavinoha, L.L. Literature Summary Report Southwest Research Institute December 1998 National Renewable Energy Laboratory 1617 Cole Boulevard, Golden, Colorado 80401-3393
- Waynick, J.A. An evaluation of the Stability, Lubricity, and Cold Flow Properties of Biodiesel Fuel Amoco Petroleum Products 150 West Warrenville Road, Naperville, IL 60563-8460 IASH '97 6th International Conference on Stability and Handling of Liquid Fuels Vancouver, B. C., Canada October 12-17 1997
- Goetzinger, J. Anderson R. Quantification and Improvement of the Long Term Storage Stability of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends BDM Petroleum Technologies Bartlesville, OK December 1997
- Frame, E.A. Bessee G.B. Marbach H.W. Biodiesel Fuel Technology For Military Application U.S. Army TARDEC Fuels and Lubricants Research Facility (SWRI) Southwest Research Institute San Antonio, Texas December 1997
- Wilson, D. Lubrizol International Laboratories, United Kingdom Improving the Quality of RME by the Use of Performance Chemicals First International Colloquium Fuels January 16-17 1997 Ostfidem, Esslingen 16
- Prankl, H. Schindlbauer, H. Oxidation Stability of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters 10th European Conference on Biomass for Energy and Industry 8-11 June 1998 Wurzburg, Germany 594 597
- Bessee, G. B. Fey, J. P. Compatibility of Elastomers and Metals in Biodiesel Fuel Blends SAE paper No. 971690
- Bacha, John D. Lesnini David G. Diesel Fuel Thermal Stability at 300°F Chevron Products Company 100 Chevron Way, Richmond, CA 94802 IASH 97, 6th International Conference on Stability and Handling of Liquid Fuels Vancouver, B.C., Canada October 13-17 1997
- Stavinoha, L.L. Potential Analytical Measurement Techniques for Oxidative and Thermal Stability Southwest Research Institute December 1998 National Renewable Energy Laboratory 1617 Cole Boulevard, Golden, Colorado 80401-3393
- Stavinoha, L.L. Rating System Report Southwest Research Institute December 1998 National Renewable Energy Laboratory 1617 Cole Boulevard, Golden, Colorado 80401-3393
- Nikanjam, M. et. al ISO Diesel Fuel Lubricity Round Robin Program SAE Paper No. 952372 1995