This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Common rail injection system has great flexibility in injection timing, pressure and multi-injection compared with other injection systems, many studies and applications have reported the advantages of using common rail system to meet the strict emission regulation and to improve engine performance for diesel engines [1-2] *.
The purpose of this study was aimed to understand the effect of pilot injection on NOx and soot when pilot injection was used to reduce combustion noise. A single cylinder high-speed diesel engine with common rail system was used to acquire the data of interesting such as exhaust emissions, in-cylinder pressure and combustion noise level (CNL). To study the complex effect of pilot injection with EGR, cooled EGR was used as well. Together with engine testing, a transparent engine was used to find more details by comparing combustion process and a simulation was carried out to estimate the result of desired pilot.
As a result, based on the trade-off for NOx, soot and combustion noise, the effect of pilot injection under different engine loads, EGR has been discussed. Meanwhile, the information from combustion process and simulation has indicated the problems existed in current system and the direction to make further improvement.
CitationZhang, L., "A Study of Pilot Injection in a DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3493, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3493.
- NehmerD.A., reitzR.D., “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injection on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions”, SAE Paper No.940668, 1994.
- TakedaY., et al., “Diesel Combustion Improvement and Emissions Reduction Using VCO Nozzles with High Pressure Fuel Injection”, SAE Paper No.940899, 1994.
- ShundoS., et al., “NOx Reduction from Diesel Combustion Using Pilot Injection with High Pressure Fuel Injection”, SAE Paper No.9204611, 1992.
- ManfredD., et al., “Preinjection A Measure to Optimize the Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper No.940674, 1994.
- MinamiT., et al., “Reduction of Diesel Engine NOx Using Pilot Injection”, SAE Paper No.950611, 1995.
- ZhangL., et al., “An Analysis of the Combustion of DI Diesel Engine by Photograph Processing”, SAE Paper No.930594, 1993.
- IshiiY., et al., “Prediction of DI Diesel Engine Emissions by Multidimensional Simulation”, SAE Paper No.980130, 1998.
- Satoh K., et al., “Relationship between NOx and SM Emissions from DI Diesel Engine with EGR”, JSAE Review Vol.18 No.4, 1997.
- HamaguchiK., et al., “Combustion Improvement of DI NA Diesel Engine by Common Rail Injection System”, JSAE Autumn Convention. Paper No.9940468, 1999.
- ZhangL., et al., “A Study of Pilot Injection on Combustion Noise and Other Emissions in a Diesel Engine”, IPC-10 Paper No.99069, 1999.