This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Identification and Analysis of JIT-Related Problems in the Alabama Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports the results of a research study to identify and analyze the types of problems faced by just-in-time (JIT) automotive suppliers in Alabama. A 1998 survey of Alabama JIT automotive suppliers focused on twenty major JIT-related problems and one hundred company characteristics related to customers, employees, extent of JIT implementation, work environment, carriers, and other issues. The analysis of the survey results included statistics to evaluate how closely Alabamabased JIT companies resembled JIT companies located elsewhere. In addition, hypotheses were tested to identify possible relationships between company characteristics and specific JIT-related problems. The analysis provided insight into the demographics, common problems, and most troublesome issues related to JIT implementation in the state’s automotive industry.
CitationGahlaut, H., Matson, J., Matson, J., and Miller, D., "Identification and Analysis of JIT-Related Problems in the Alabama Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3367, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3367.
- Fawcett, S. E. Birou. L. M. 1993 Just-in-time sourcing techniques: current state of adoption and performance benefits. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 34 1 First Quarter 18 24
- Ansari, A. Modarress. B. 1990 Just-in-time purchasing. New York The Free Press
- Celley, A. F. Clegg, W. H. Smith, A. W. Vonderembse. M. A. 1986 Implementation of JIT in the United States. Journal of Purchasing and Materials Management. 22 4 winter 9 15
- Cheng, T. 1988 The just-in-time production: a survey of its development and perception in the Hong Kong electronics industry. OMEGA International Journal of Management Science. 16 1 25 32
- Waples, E. Norris. D. M. 1989 Just-in-time production and the financial audit. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 30 4 Fourth Quarter 25 27
- Ansari, A. Modarress. B. 1990 JIT brings problems and solutions Purchasing World. 34 March 47 50
- Golhar, D. Y. Stamm, C. L. Smith. W. P. 1990 JIT implementation in small manufacturing firms. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 31 2 Second Quarter 44 48
- Billesbach, T. Harrison, A. Croom-Morgan. S. 1991 Just-in-time: a United States-United Kingdom comparison. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 11 10 44 57
- Brown, K. A. Mitchell. T. R. 1991 A comparison of just-in-time and batch manufacturing: the role of performance obstacles. Academy of Management Journal. 34 4 906 917
- Chen F. 1991. Issues in just-in-time implementation: a survey of western Michigan firms. Proceedings of the international conference on just-in-time manufacturing systems operational planning and control issues held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2-4 October 1991, 361 369 Amsterdam, London, New York, and Tokyo: Elsevier.
- Freeland, J. R. 1991 A survey of just-in-time purchasing practices in the United States. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 32 2 Second Quarter 43 50
- Stamm, C. L. Golhar. D. Y. 1991 Customer and supplier linkages for small JIT manufacturing firms. Journal of Small Business Management. 29 3 July 43 49
- Bartezzaghi, E. Turco, F. Spina. G. 1992 The impact of the just-in-time approach on production system performance: a survey of Italian industry. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 12 1 5 17
- Kim, G. C. Rifai. A. K. 1992 Efficient approach to health care industry materiel resource management: an empirical research. Hospital Materiel Management Quarterly. 13 3 10 24
- Clarke, B. Mia. L. 1993 JIT manufacturing systems: use and application in Australia. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 13 7 69 82
- Clode, D. M. 1993 A survey of U.K. manufacturing control over the past ten years. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 34 2 53 56
- Golhar, D. Y. Deshpande. S. P. 1993 An empirical investigation of HRM practices in JIT firms. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 34 4 Fourth Quarter 28 32
- Lawrence, J. J. Lewis. H. S. 1993 JIT manufacturing in Mexico: obstacles to implementation. Production and Inventory Management Journal. 34 3 Third Quarter 31 35
- Sohal, A. S. Ramsay, L. Samson. D. 1993 JIT manufacturing: industry analysis and a methodology for implementation. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 13 7 22 56
- Hum, S. H. Ng. Y. T. 1995 A study on just-intime practices in Singapore. International Journal of Operations and Production Management. 15 6 5 24
- Radovilsky, Z. Gotcher, W. Mistry, R. Yip. R. 1996 JIT purchasing: analyzing survey results. Industrial Management. 38 6 November/ December 17 21
- Woods, H. C. 1998 Identification and analysis of JITrelated problems in the Alabama automotive industry. Unpublished Master’s thesis, The University of Alabama.