This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Motorcycle Noise and Exhaust Emissions-Statutory Testing Methods Versus Real Traffic Situations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In comparison to other vehicles motorcycles have very special driving characteristics, so the typical use of motorcycles is clearly distinct from the use of passenger cars. At Darmstadt University the riding behavior of motorcyclists has been experimentally investigated [2, 3, 4, 5], especially in order to determine their exhaust and noise emissions in real traffic. The results and the essential differences between motorcycles and cars should be considered in the discussion of testing methods and limiting values, e.g., for exhaust and noise emissions of two-wheelers.
This paper presents a comparison between the typical driving performance of motorcycles and passenger cars and contains results of motorcycle exhaust and noise emission measurements in real traffic and in statutory tests. The current legal measuring standards are found not to represent the reality of motorcycle traffic in a sufficient manner. Therefore, some changes for the legal testing procedures are proposed, and a new driving cycle for motorcycles is presented.
CitationSchroeder, F., Breuer, B., Preiss, H., and Weidhaas, G., "Motorcycle Noise and Exhaust Emissions-Statutory Testing Methods Versus Real Traffic Situations," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3255, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3255.
- Lindermair, R. Vitale, F. Motorräder - Die Umwel-taspekte (Motorcycles - The environmental aspects) 2nd International Motorcycle Conference Munich/Germany 1998
- Präckel, J. Schmieder, M. Weidele, A. Breuer, B. Zusammenwirken von Fahrer, Bremsanlage, Reifen und Fahrbahn hinsichtlich der Bremssicherheit von Krafträdern (Interaction of driver, brake system, tyres, and road concerning the braking safety of motorcycles) 1996 1 96 Wiesbaden/Germany 1996
- Schröder, F. Breuer, B. Schmid, R. Betriebsweise und Kraftstoffverbrauch von Motorrädern im realen Verkehr (Motorcycle riding and fuel consumption in real traffic situations) 2nd International Motorcycle Conference Munich/Germany 1998
- Schröder, F. Breuer, B. Driving performance and fuel economy of motorcycles in real traffic ATA Power Two Wheels International Conference Pisa/Italy 1998
- Schröder, F. Funke, J. Breuer, B. Motorcycle noise emissions in real traffic situations EAEC European Automotive Congress Barcelona/Spain 1999
- Stenschke, R. Schulz, U. Lärmverursachung durch Fahrverhalten und Konzepte zur Minderung der Geräuschemissionen von Motorrädern (Noise causation by driving behaviour and concepts for a reduction- of noise emission from motorcycles) 2nd International Motorcycle Conference Munich/Germany 1998
- Steven, H. Advanced test cycle for total vehicle noise as basis for international legislation Munich/Germany 1998
- Van de Weijer Heavy-duty emission factors - Development of representative driving cycles and prediction of emissions in real-life Delft/The Netherlands 1997
- EG-MVEG 82 nd session session protocol in: VDAMitteilungen No. 13/98 Frankfurt/Germany 1998