This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Initial Occupant Kinematics in the High Velocity Vehicle Rollover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Predictions of occupant motion in passenger vehicles undergoing rollovers have been hampered by the uncertainties of the vehicular motion. These uncertainties arise due to a host of factors which may be difficult to quantify, such as trip conditions, vehicle/terrain interaction dynamics and mass eccentricities. In this paper the initial segment of a roll sequence of high angular velocity (greater than 4 radians per second) about a longitudinal axis is examined. The resultant unrestrained motions of the near and far side occupants are studied. To facilitate this analysis a mathematical model has been developed which incorporates dynamic characteristics of the occupant, the vehicle and the terrain surface. The analysis is carried through the first significant vehicle/ground impact following roll initiation. Occupant kinematics are described.
CitationHoward, R., Hatsell, C., and Raddin, J., "Initial Occupant Kinematics in the High Velocity Vehicle Rollover," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3231, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3231.
- Moffatt Edward,“Occupant Motion in Rollover Collisions,” 19th Annual Proceedings, AAAM, pp.49-59, Nov. 1975.
- Orlowski Kennet.F.,R. Thomas Bundorf;Edward A. Moffatt,“Rollover Crash TestsBThe Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics,” SAE Paper No. 851734, 1985.
- Neil K. Cooperrider;Terry M. Thomas; Selim A. Hammoud , “Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior,“ SAE Paper No. 900366, Feb., 1990.
- Robert Piziali,Robert Hopper,Daniel Girvan, Raymond Merala,“Injury Causation in Rollover Accidents and the Biofidelity of Hybrid III Data in Rollover Tests.“ Mechanics of Protection SP-1355, SAEFebruary, 1998.
- Donald F. Huelke;Joseph C. MarshIV;Harold W. Sherman,“Analysis of Rollover Accident Factors and Injury Causation,” Proceedings of the 16th Conference of AAAM, Chapel Hill, NC, 1972.
- Orlowski K.R.;Moffatt E.A.; Bundorf R.T.; Holcomb M.P., “Reconstruction of Rollover Collisions,” SAE Paper No. 890857, Feb., 1989.
- Habberstad Joh.L.;Wagner Roge.C.; Thomas Terr.M., “Rollover and Interior Kinematics Test Procedures Revisited,” SAE Paper No. 861875, Oct.,1986.
- Bahling G.S.; Bundorf R.T.; Kaspzyk G.S.; Moffatt E.A.; Orlowski K.F.; Stocke J.E., “Rollover and Drop TestsBThe Influence of Roof Strength on Injury Mechanics Using Belted Dummies,” SAE Paper No. 902314, Nov., 1990.