This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of Advanced High-Temperature Stable Pt/Rh-Three-Way Catalysts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present paper highlights the results of a development program focussing on Pt-based three-way catalysts. It is demonstrated that as compared to state-of-the-art Pt/Rh technologies the utilization of
- advanced washcoat raw materials,
- new processing methods as well as
- advanced washcoat systems dedicated to the individual precious metals (PGM)
lead to novel catalyst technologies taking better advantage of the lead to novel catalyst technologies taking better advantage of the PGM properties. This yields substantial improvements regarding both aging stability and activity of the catalytic converters. Furthermore, based on the results of a PGM loading study, preferred PGM loadings and ratios were investigated in more detail. In summary, for different application examples it is documented that the newly developed Pt/Rh double layer catalyst is a technical and commercial alternative to the current Pd-based technologies also for high-demanding applications.
CitationMussmann, L., Lindner, D., Lox, E., and Blumrich, S., "The Development of Advanced High-Temperature Stable Pt/Rh-Three-Way Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3078, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3078.
- Kollmann K. Abthoff J. Zahn W. “Concepts for Ultra Low Emission Vehicles” SAE Paper 940468 1994
- Faltmeier G. Pfalzgraf B. Brück R. Kruse C. Maus W. Donnerstag A. “Catalyst Concepts for Future Emission Legislation demonstrated at a 1.8 Liter, 5 Valve Engine” Vienna Motorensymposium Vienna, Austria 398 417 April 1996
- Lindner D. Lox E.S. van Yperen R. Ostgathe K. Kreuzer T. “Reduction of Exhaust Gas Emissions by Using Pd-based Three-way Catalysts” SAE 960802 1996
- Hepburn J. Patel K. Meneghel M. Gandhi H.S. “Development of Pd-only Three-way Catalysts” SAE Paper 941058 1994
- Ball D.J. “A Warm-up and Underfloor Converter Parametric Study” SAE Paper 930386 1993
- Engler B.H. Lox E.S. et al. “Recent Trends in the Application of Three Metal Emission Control Catalysts” SAE 940928 1994
- Waltner A. Loose G. Hirschmann A. Mußmann L. Lindner D. Müller W. “Development of Close-Coupled Catalyst Systems for European Driving Conditions” SAE 980663 1998
- Sims G.S. Sandeep J. “Catalyst Performance Study Using Taniguchi Methods” SAE 881589 1988
- Montgomery, D.C. Design and Analysis of Experiments New York John Wiley & Sons Third 1991