This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Software Life-Cycle Costs and Solutions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electronic control system manufactures within the off-highway industry are aggressively upgrading their embedded software development processes to include simulation, rapid prototyping, and Hardware-in-loop testing (HIL). However, software life cycle concerns are not always considered during process revolutions such as these, even though most project managers agree that the majority of software costs accrue during maintenance.
This paper proposes the use of automated implementation and unit test tools to generate production code and unit test vectors from a graphical representation of the ECU model used during simulation and prototyping. These automated tools not only improve development time but, more importantly, save on maintenance and reuse costs.
Another proposal is made herein regarding the use of a new rapid prototyping environment for more accurately accounting for production microcontroller constraints during control algorithm design. This reduces the number of expensive process iterations that arise due to the detection of unachievable requirements in the later portions of the control system test cycle.
CitationErkkinen, T., "Software Life-Cycle Costs and Solutions," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2845, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2845.
- Columbero F. Gaido M. “Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation: An Effective Approach to Computer Aided Testing” 1998 ATA Conference
- Kimura A. Maeda I. “Development of Engine Control System using Real-Time Simulator” 1996 IEEE CACSD Conference
- Pressman R. “Software Engineering, A Practitioner's Approach” 1992 McGraw-Hill
- “Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification,” 1992 Requirements and Technical Concepts for Aviation
- Beizer B. “Software Testing Techniques” 1990 International Thomson Computer
- Morton S. “Bottoms Up! Testing Top-Down Software Designs” 1999 SAE International Congress and Exposition
- Erkkinen T. “Embedded Control System Implementation and Modeling Issues” 1999 American Control Conferenece