This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Development of a Wind Energy-Based Efficient Irrigation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of an extensive wind tunnel test program aimed at development of a Savonius rotor-based irrigation system are summarized. The system uses an optimum configuration of the turbine and a novel coil-pump. Results suggest the system to be quite effective, with the turbine speed and tube diameter of the pump influencing the flow-rate while the number of turn of the coil-pump governing the head attained. Thus appropriate design of the system can provide the desired performance. Simplicity of construction, self-starting character, low speed operation, ease of maintenance and economy make the system quite attractive.
CitationModi, V., "On the Development of a Wind Energy-Based Efficient Irrigation System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2620, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2620.
- Ahmedi, G., “Some Preliminary Results on the Performance of a Small Vertical Axis Cylindrical Wind Turbine”, Wind Engineering Vol. 2, No. 2, 1978, pp. 65-74.
- Savino, J.M., and Eldridge, F.R., “Wind Power”, Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 13, No. 11, 1975, pp. 53-75.
- Hutter, V., “Wind Power Machines”, NASA-TT-F-16195, 1975.
- Blackwell, B.F., et al., “Wind Energy – A Revitalized Pursuit”, Sandia Laboratories, Report No. 75-0166, 1975.
- Eldridge, F.R., “Wind Machines”, National Science Foundation, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1975.
- Govind Raju, S.P., and Narasimha, R., “A Low Cost Water Pumping Windmill Using Sail-Type Savonius Rotor”, Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, Report No. 79FM2, 1979.
- Roth, N.J., “A Prototype Design and Performance of the Savonius Rotor Based Irrigation System”, M.A.Sc. Thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1985.
- Fernando, M.S.U.K., “On the Performance and Wake Aerodynamics of the Savonius Wind Turbine”, Ph.D. Thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1987.
- Savonius, S.J., “The S-Rotor and Its Application”, Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 53, 1931, pp. 333-338.
- Sivasegaram, S., “Design Parameters Affecting the Performance of the Resistance Type Vertical Axis Wind Rotor”, Wind Engineering, Vol. 1, 1977, pp. 207-217.
- Khan, M.H., “Model and Prototype Performance Characteristics of the Savonius Rotor Windmill”, Wind Engineering, Vol. 2, 1978, pp. 75-85.
- Ogawa, T., “Theoretical Study on the Flow About Savonius Rotor”, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 106, 1984, pp. 85-90.
- Modi, V.J., and Fernando, M.S.U.K., “On the Performance of the Savonius Wind Turbine”, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Solar Energy, Vol. 111, 1989, pp. 71-81.
- Modi, V.J., Fernando, M.S.U.K., and Yokomizo, T., “An Integrated Approach to Design of a Wind Energy Operated Irrigation System”, Proceedings of the ASME/AIAA Wind Energy Symposium, 36th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, Nevada, U.S.A., 1998, AIAA and ASME Publishers, Paper No. ASME/AIAA 98-0041, pp. 165-182.
- Martin, J.H., and Annable, R.J., “Rotating Coil Pump”, Chartered Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 28, 1981, pp. 43-44.