This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Design Results for the Switched Reluctance Cycloconverter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The switched reluctance cycloconverter (SRC) is a power circuit for generating AC with a switched reluctance machine (SRM). It uses a single power electronic conversion step to achieve higher system efficiency compared to alternative approaches. The basic SRC system is described. Design results for a 400Hz, three phase, 60kVA (90kVA for 5 minutes and 120 kVA for 5 seconds) variable speed constant frequency (VSCF) system is presented. The machine and control designs are described. The unique design issues that exist for the SRC compared to a conventional DC SRM system are pointed out. Performance predictions for the final system design are presented.
CitationRockwell, R. and Radun, A., "Preliminary Design Results for the Switched Reluctance Cycloconverter," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2549, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2549.
- Miller T. J. E. Switched Reluctance Motor and Their Control Clarendon Press Oxford 1993
- Miller T.J. E. Switched Reluctance Motor Drives, a Reference Book of Collected Papers Intertec Communications Inc 1988
- Radun A. V. Rulison J. A. Sanza P. Switched Reluctance Starter/Generator Trans. SAE, J. Aerosp. 101 1 1992 1771
- Radun A. V. Generating With the Switched Reluctance Motor Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition 1 41 1994
- Jiang H. Simulation and Analysis of a Switched Reluctance Generator/Cycloconverter System Mas Ter’s Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering University of Kentucky 1996
- Hon K. K. Hardware Implementation of Switched Reluctance Cycloconverter System Controller Master’s Thesis, Dept. of Electrical Engineering University of Kentucky Dec 1998
- Miller T. J. E. Switched Reluctance Drives IEEE Industry Applications Society Conference 1990