This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Management of Microelectronics by Axial Jet Impingement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A free jet of high Prandtl number fluid impinging perpendicularly on a solid substrate of finite thickness containing small discrete heat sources on the opposite surface has been analyzed. Both solid and fluid regions have been modeled and solved as a conjugate problem. Computed results included the velocity, temperature, and pressure distributions in the fluid, and the local and average heat transfer coefficients at the solid-fluid interface. Numerical results were validated with available experimental data. It was found that the thickness of the disk as well as the location of the discrete sources showed strong influence on the maximum temperature and the average heat transfer coefficient.
CitationBula, A., Rahman, M., and Leland, J., "Thermal Management of Microelectronics by Axial Jet Impingement," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2480, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2480.
- Wang, X.S. Dagan, Z. Jiji, L.M. “Prediction of Surface Temperature and Heat Flux of a Microelectronic Chip with Jet Impingement Cooling,” Journal of Electronic Packaging 112 57 62 1990
- Wadsworth, D.C. Mudawar, I. “Cooling of a Multiple Electronic Module by Means of Confined Two-Dimensional Jets of Dielectric Liquid,” Journal of Heat Transfer 112 891 898 1990
- Schaffer D. Incropera, F.P. Ramadhyani, S. “Planar Liquid Jet Impingement Cooling of Multiple Discrete Heat Sources,” Journal of Electronic Packaging 113 359 366 1991
- Womac, D.J. Ramadhyani, S. Incropera, F.P. “Correlating Equations for Impingement Cooling of Small Heat Sources with Single Circular Liquid Jets,” Journal of Heat Transfer 115 106 115 1993
- Womac, D.J. Incropera, F.P. Ramadhyani S. “Correlation Equations for Impingement Cooling of Small Heat Sources with Multiple Liquid Jets,” Journal of Heat Transfer 116 482 486 1994
- Rice, R.A. Garimella, S.V. “Heat Transfer from Discrete Sources Using an Axisymmetric, Submerged and Confined Liquid Jet,” Proceedings of the 10 th International Heat Transfer Conference Brighton, U.K. 3 89 94 1994
- Maddox, D.E. Bar-Cohen, A. “Thermofluid Design of Single-Phase Submerged-Jet Impingement Cooling for Electronic Components,” Journal of Electronic Packaging 116 237 240 1994
- Garimella, S.V. Rice R.A. “Confined and Submerged Liquid Jet Impingement Heat Transfer,” Journal of Heat Transfer 117 871 877 1995
- Burmeister, L.C. Convective Heat Transfer Wiley New York 1993
- Fletcher, C.A.J. Computational Galerkin Methods Spring-Verlag New York 1984
- Wolf, D.H. Viskanta, R. Incropera, F.P. “Local Convective Heat Transfer from a Heated Surface to a Planar Jet of Water with Nonuniform Velocity Profile,” Journal of Heat Transfer 112 899 905 1990
- Vader, D.T. Incropera, F.P. Viskanta, R. “Local Convective Heat Transfer from a Heated Surface to an Impinging, Planar Jet of Water,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 34 3 611 623 1991