This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lightning Observations and Positioning Using Broadband Interferometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 22, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three-dimensional lightning observations and the possibility of lightning positioning system by means of broadband radio interferometer are performed. Using two sets of broadband system at two different sites, we observed many lightning discharges during a field campaign in Darwin, Australia in 1998. We carried out the data processing to investigate the development of lightning discharges. The system shows that for several tens kilometers, lightning discharges can be detected, their progression can be reconstructed and their position can be mapped into three-dimensionally spatial format and in time sequence.
CitationMardiana, R., Kawasaki, Z., Murakami, M., and Matsuura, K., "Lightning Observations and Positioning Using Broadband Interferometer," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2362, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2362.
- Proctor, D.E. Uytenbogaardt R. Meredith M. VHF Radio Pictures of Lightning Flashes to Ground J. Geophys. Res. 93 12683 12727 1988
- Richard, P. Soulage A. Laroche P. Appel J. The SAFIR Lightning Monitoring and Warning System, Application to Aerospace Activities ICOLSE 1988 Oklahoma, USA 385 389 1988
- Mazur, V. Williams E. Boldi R. Maier L. Proctor D. E. Initial comparison of lightning mapping with operational Time-Of-Arrival and Interferometric systems J. Geophys. Res. 102 11071 11085 1997
- Shao, X.M. Holden D. N. Rhodes C. T. Broad band radio interferometry for lightning observations Geo-phys. Res. Lett. 23 1917 1920 1996
- Laroche, P. Bondiou A. Blanchet P. Weber M. Boldi B. 3D Structure of Lightning Discharge Within Storms 10 th ICAE Osaka, Japan 330 332 1996
- Maier, L. Lennon C. Krehbiel P. Maier M. Lightning as Observed by a Four-Dimensional Lightning Location System at Kennedy space center 10 th ICAE Osaka, Japan 280 283 1996
- Onuki, J. Kawasaki Z-I. Wada M. Matsuura K. Imaging of Lightning in Three Dimensions using Interferometer 10 th ICAE Osaka, Japan 325 328 1996
- Shao, X.M. Krehbiel P.R. Thomas R.J. Rison W. Radio interferometric observations of cloud-to-ground lightning phenomena in Florida J. Geophys. Res. 100 2749 2783 1995
- Stanley, M. Krehbiel P. Maier L. Lennon C. Comparison of Lightning Observations from the KSC LDAR System with NEXTRAD Radar Observations 10 th ICAE Osaka, Japan 224 225 1996
- Ushio, T. Kawasaki Z. Ohta Y. Matsuura K. Broadband interferometric measurement of rocket triggered lightning in Japan Geo. Res. Lett 24 2769 2772 1997
- Mardiana, R. Ota Y. Murakami M. Ushio T. Kawasaki Z. Matsuura K. A Broadband Radio Interferometer for Observing Lightning Discharge Processes J. Atmph. Elect. 18 2 111 117 1998