This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flashover Voltage Characteristics of Segmented Diverter Strips
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 22, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flashover voltage characteristics of different types of segmented diverter strips were determined. Especially the resistive layer on the rear side of the strip, which protect the strip from electrostatic discharges, has a major influence on the flashover characteristics. The voltage waveform A defined in many aircraft standards with a voltage steepness of 1000 kV/μs ± 50% does not lead to the highest flashover voltages. With a lower voltage steepness, typically between 1 and 10 kV/μs, the flash-over voltages can increase by a factor of four.
Analytical investigations can give explanations for this behaviour. The voltage distribution along the segmented diverter strips changes from a capacitive controlled voltage distribution to a resistive controlled voltage distribution when reducing the voltage steepness.
CitationDrumm, F., "Flashover Voltage Characteristics of Segmented Diverter Strips," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2351, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2351.
- Drumm, F.: Investigations into segmented diverter strips. International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Florence, 1996.
- IEC 60-1: High voltage test techniques, part 1: general definitions and test requirements, 1989.
- MIL-STD-1757 A: Lightning qualification test techniques for aerospace vehicles and hardware, July 1983.
- FAA Users Manual for AC 20-53A Protection of aircraft fuel systems against fuel vapor ignition due to lightning, October 1984.
- Baldwin R. E. et. al.: A review on the Joint Programme on improving the lightning and static protection of radomes. International Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity, Williamsburgh (VA), USA, 1995.
- Roth, J. U.: Evaluation of aircraft lightning strike incidents collected in a database. International Aerospace and Ground Conference on Lightning and Static Electricity, Mannheim, 1994.
- Kuchling, H.: Taschenbuch der Physik. Harri-Deutsch-Verlag, Frankfurt/Main, 1988.
- Elsner, R.: Die Messung steiler Hochspannungsstöße mittels Spannungsteiler. Archiv für Elektrotechnik 33, 1939, pp. 23-40.
- Kupfmüller, K.: Einführung in die theoretische Elektrotechnik. 13., verbesserte Auflage, Springer Verlag, Berlin. Heidelberg, New York, 1990.