This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study and Characterization of Gaskets in the Frequency Band [100 kHz - 100 MHz]
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 22, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of the present work is to find a pertinent parameter characterizing gaskets, such as used in joints in metallic enclosures, over the [100kHz - 100MHz] frequency band. The proposed test device provides a frequency measure of the coupling, between two wires placed on both sides of the assembly. We can then define an equivalent generator on the reception line. Then, starting from Latham’s analysis , we have obtained a pertinent parameter considered as a transfer impedance. This transfer impedance behaves, at low frequencies, like a surface impedance and thus can be taken into account in numerical codes, as, for example, codes based on the EFIE.
We have modeled our experimental device and we have used the above technique to characterize an elastomer gasket in an overlap-type joint. The value of the coupling function is obtained numerically using a reciprocity technique because the direct calculation is not precise enough (signal of the order of magnitude of the numerical noise). We have compared the numerical results with those obtained from measurements, and we have obtained a good agreement between them. We will analyze the different physical mechanisms and discuss the domain of validity of this technique.
CitationRidel, M., Gobin, V., Issac, F., Alliot, J. et al., "Study and Characterization of Gaskets in the Frequency Band [100 kHz - 100 MHz]," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2314, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2314.
- Latham R.W. Small holes in cable shields Interaction Notes, Note 118 Air Force Weapons Laboratory Kirtland AFB, NM September 1972
- Madle RJ. Transfer Impedance and Transfer Admittance Measurements on Gasketted Panel Assemblies, and Honeycomb Air-Vent Assemblies IEEE International Symposium on EMC Washington, DC July 1976
- Kunkel G. Design of Transfer Impedance Test Fixture Accurate Through 10 Ghz IEEE International Symposium on EMC Washington, DC August 1990
- Freyer G. J. Hatfield M. O. Comparison of Gasket Transfer Impedance and Shielding Effectiveness Measurement, Part II IEEE International Symposium on EMC Anaheim, CA August 1992
- Wilson P. F. Ma M. T. Techniques for Measuring the Electromagnetic Shielding Effectiveness of Materials: Part II - Near-Field Source Simulation IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility 30 3 August 1988
- Lee K. S. A wire passing by a circular aperture in a infinite ground plane Interaction Notes, Note 317 February 1977
- Gobin V. Diffraction par des ouvertures et par des objets tri-dimensionnels Thèse de doctorat Université des Sciences et Techniques de Lille Flandres Artois 1990
- Lacour D. Gobin V. Application du principe de réciprocité au calcul du couplage par une ouverture CEM-Lille 2-5 Septembre 1996
- Monteath G. D. Applications of the Electromagnetic Reciprocity principle Pergamon Press
- Gobin V. Application à la CEM d’une methode de découpage en domaines CEM-Brest 8-11 juin 1998