This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Designing Experiments for Direct Measurement of Wheat Photosynthesis in Microgravity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Procedures were developed for a future experiment to measure wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) photosynthesis in microgravity. Specific attention was given to growing and maintaining vigorous wheat plants relative to the challenging conditions predicted in microgravity. These ground-based tests included comparisons of different rooting media, media, wicking materials, and nutrient delivery system pressures. To facilitate seed germination in microgravity, several clinostat tests were conducted to characterize the importance of initial seed orientation. Following establishment of a vigorous crop canopy, photosynthesis rates were measured and found to be affected by mutual plant shading within the growth chambers.
CitationGoins, G., Stutte, G., and Chapman, D., "Designing Experiments for Direct Measurement of Wheat Photosynthesis in Microgravity," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2179, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2179.
- Allen, E. R. Ming, D. W. Hossner, L. R. Henninger. D. L. 1995 Modeling transport kinetics in clinoptilolite-phosphate rock systems Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J 59 248 255
- Boulder Innovative Technologies, Inc. 1998. Phase II SBIR. Advanced zeoponic plant growth media, application systems, and production processes for space environmental life support systems and commercial horticulture.
- Brown, A. H. Chapman. D. K. 1984 A test to verify the biocompatibility of a method for plant culture in a microgravity environment. Annals of Botany 54 Supplement 3 19 31
- Brown, C. S. Tibbitts, T. W. Croxdale, J. G. Wheeler. R. M. 1996 Potato tuber formation and metabolism in the spaceflight environment SAE Technical Paper Series Paper # 961393
- Cao, W. Tibbitts. T. W. 1996 Using a porous tube system to study potato responses to constant water tension in a rooting matrix J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 121 399 403
- Dreschel, T. W. Sager. J. C. 1989 Control of water and nutrients using a porous tube: plant growth unit for hydroponics in microgravity HortSci 24 944 947
- Goins, G.D. Yorio. N.C. Vivenzio. H 1998 Performance of salad-type plants using lighting and nutrient delivery concepts intended for spaceflight SAE Technical Paper Series No. 981554
- Guedira, M. Shroyer, J.P. Kirkham, M.B. Paulsen. G.M. 1997 Wheat coleoptile and root growth and seedling survival after dehydration and re-hydration Agron. J 89 822 826
- Kliss, M. MacElroy, R. Borchers, B. Farrance, M. Nelson, T. Blackwell, C. Yendler, B. Tremor. J. 1994 Controlled ecological life support systems (CELSS) flight experimentation Adv. Space Res 14 61 69
- Levine, H. G. Krikorian. A. D. 1992 Chromosomes and plant cell division in space: environmental conditions and experimental details Adv. Space Res. 12 73 82
- Lyon, C. J. 1968 Growth physiology of the wheat seedling in space BioScience 18 633 638
- Mashinsky, A. Ivanova, I. Derendyaeva, T. Nechitailo, G. Salisbury. F. 1994 From seed-to-seed experiment with wheat plants under space-flight conditions Adv. Space Res. 14 13 19
- Mayer, A.M. Poljakoff-Mayber. A. 1989 The germination of seeds 4 Pergamon Press Oxford
- Ming, D. W. 1989 Lunar base agriculture: Soils for plant growth Ming, D. W. Henninger, D. L. Amer. Soc. Agron Madison WI 93 105
- Ming, D. W. Barta, D. J. Golden, D. C. Galindo C. J. Henninger. D. L. 1993 Natural zeolites Ming, D. W. Mumpt F. A. International Committee on Natural Zeolites. Brockport, New York. 505513
- Morrow, R. C. Duffie, N. A. Tibbitts, T. W. Bula, R. J. Barta, D. J. Ming, D. W. Wheeler, R. M. Porterfield. E. M. 1995 Plant response in the ASTROCUL-TURE™ flight experiment unit SAE Technical Paper Series Paper# 951624
- Morrow, R. C. Bula, R. J. Tibbitts, T. W. Dinauer. W. R. 1994 The ASTROCULTURE™ flight experiment series, validating technologies for growing plants in space Adv. Space Res. 14 29 37.
- Podolsky, I. Mashinsky. A. 1994 Peculiarities of moisture transfer in capillary-porous soil substitutes during space flight Adv. Space Res. 14 39 46
- Salisbury, F.B. Bingham, G.E Campbell, W. F. Carman, J.G. Bubenheim, D.L. Yendler, B. Jahns, G. 1995 Growing super-dwarf wheat in SVET on MIR Life Support & Biosphere Science 2 31 39
- Salisbury, F. Gillespie L. Bingham. G. 1994 Preparations for CELSS flight experiments with wheat Adv. Space Res 14 21 27
- Steinberg, S.L. Henninger. D.L. 1997 Response of the water status of soybean to changes in soil water potential controlled by the water pressure in microporous tubes Plant Cell Environ 20 1506 1516
- Wright, B. D. 1984 A plant growth system for orbital plant experiments SAE Technical Paper Series Paper# 84-2524
- Zadocks, J.C. Chang, T.T. Konzak. C.F. 1974 A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals. Weed Res 14 415 421