This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Microbial Control Measures for the Temperature and Humidity Control Subsystem Condensing Heat Exchanger of the International Space Station
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In August 1997 NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) began a test with the objective of monitoring the growth of microorganisms on material simulating the surface of the International Space Station (ISS) Temperature and Humidity Control (THC) Condensing Heat Exchanger (CHX). The test addressed the concerns of potential uncontrolled microbial growth on the surface of the THC CHX subsystem. For this study, humidity condensate from a closed manned environment was used as a direct challenge to the surfaces of six cascades in a test set-up. The condensate was collected using a Shuttle-type CHX within the MSFC End-Use Equipment Testing Facility. Panels in four of the six cascades tested were coated with the ISS CHX silver impregnated hydrophilic coating. The remaining two cascade panels were coated with the hydrophilic coating without the antimicrobial component, silver. Results of the fourteen-month study are discussed in this paper. The effects on the microbial population when drying vs. not-drying the simulated THC CHX surface are also discussed.
CitationRoman, M., Steele, J., Marsh, R., Callahan, D. et al., "Assessment of the Microbial Control Measures for the Temperature and Humidity Control Subsystem Condensing Heat Exchanger of the International Space Station," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2109, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2109.
- Scull, T. Devin, M. Bedard. T. International Space Station Temperature and Humidity Control Subassembly Presented at the 28th Annual International Conference on Environmental Systems Danvers, MA July 1998
- Block, S.S. Disinfection Sterilization and Preservation fourth edition Lea & Febiger Malvern, PA 1991
- Marsh, R.W. Caron, M. Metselaar, C. Steele, J.W. 1993 Condensing Heat Exchanger Microbial Growth and Control Study - Phase II 932107 SAE Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems 1993
- Mishra, S.K Pierson, D.L. McGinnis. M.R. Microbiology on Space Station Freedom NASA Conference Publication 3108 Houston, TX November 6-8 9
- Steele, J.W. Ford, T. Marsh, R. Mitchell. R. Issues associated with the control of airborne micro-organisms in a closed, manned, life support system Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Life Support and Biosphere Science 142 150 February 22- 23 1994 Huntsville, AL 1994
- Scull, T.D. Marsh, R.W. 1994
- Roman, M.C Minton-Summer. S. 1997
- McFeters, G. A. Drinking Water Microbiology Springer-Verlag New York, NY 1990
- Geldreich, E.E. Microbial Quality of Water Supply in Distribution Systems CRC Press Inc Boca Raton, FL 1996
- Davis, B.D. Dulbecco, R. Eisen, H. N. Ginsberg. H.S. Microbiology fourth edition Lippincott Company Philadelphia, PA 1990
- Balows, A, et al. The Prokaryotes second edition Springer-Verlag New York, NY 1992