This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydroponic Nutrient Solution Management Strategies for Optimizing Yield of Sweetpotato Storage Roots
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Under certain nutrient solution management practices in hydroponic systems, sweetpotato [Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.] plants can exhibit excessive shoot growth and reduced storage root yield. An experiment was conducted which compared sweetpotato production in nutrient film technique (NFT) systems either with daily nutrient solution replenishment + real-time pH control or with nutrient solution replenishment 3-times per week + periodic pH adjustment. Results showed that replenishment of nutrient solution on a daily basis produced excessive foliage growth with very little storage root production. Nutrient solution replenishment 3-times per week produced manageable vine growth and respectable storage root yields.
CitationGoins, G., Yorio, N., Wheeler, R., Mortley, D. et al., "Hydroponic Nutrient Solution Management Strategies for Optimizing Yield of Sweetpotato Storage Roots," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2022, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2022.
- Aglan, H. Smith, E. Tshitahe, R. Mortley, D. Loretan, P. Hill. W. 1995 Engineering design analysis of a microgravity chamber with expandable boundaries for root crops SAE Technical Paper Series No. 951707
- Bonsi, C.K. Hill, W.A. Mortley, D.G. Loretan, PA. Morris, C.E. Carlisle E.R. 1992 Growing sweet-potatoes for space missions using NFT. pgs 110 119 Sweeetpotato Technology for the 21st Cenury Hill, W.A. Bonsi, C.k Loretan, P.A. Tuskegee University Tuskegee, Alabama
- Marschner, H. 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants second edition Academic Press London
- McCraw, D Motes, J CartWright, B Damicone, J 1997 Sweetpotato production. Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service Circular No. F-6022
- Mortley, D.G. Bonsi, C.K. Hill, W.A. Loretan, P.A. Morris. C.E. 1993 Irradiance and nitrogen to potassium ration influences sweetpotato yield in nutrient film technique Crop Sci 33 782 784
- Tsuno, I. Fujise. K. 1965 Studies on the dry matter production of sweet potato Bull. Natl. Agric. Sci. Ser. No. 13
- wheeler R.M Mackowiak. C.L Stutte G.W Yorio. N.C Ruffe L.M Berry. W.L 1999 Nutrient, acid, and water budgets of hydroponically grown crops. Proc. Int. Sym. Growing Media and Hydroponics A.P. Papadopoulos, editor. Acta Hort. 481, ISHS. 655 661
- Wilkinson, S.R. Ohlrogge. A.J. 1964 Mechanism for nitrogen increased shoot/root ratios Nature London 204:902.