This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Columbus Orbital Facility Condensing Heat Exchanger and Filter Assembly, 1999
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A condensing heat exchanger and filter assembly (CHXFA) has been developed by SECAN / AlliedSignal under a contract from Daimler-Chrysler Aerospace, Dornier, as a part of a European Space Agency program. The CHXFA is part of the Environmental Control and Life Support System (ECLSS) of the Columbus Orbital Facility (COF), the European Laboratory Module of the International Space Station (ISS).
The CHXFA contains a filter to remove particulates from the air stream, and a differential pressure sensor to monitor pressure drop across the filter. Parallel condensing heat exchanger cores reduce the air temperature and absolute humidity level. Efficient air-water separation is achieved by a combination of a hydrophilic coating on the heat exchanger air flow passages and a water removal section. A thermal control valve regulates the temperature of the outlet air. A sensor to detect liquid carryover in the air stream is located downstream of the CHXFA.
This paper provides an overview of the design and development testing performed to validate the performance of the CHXFA for the COF.
|Technical Paper||Development of Motorized Turbo Compressor for Clarity Fuel Cell|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of a Membrane-Based Condensate Recovery Heat Exchanger (CRX)|
|Technical Paper||Performance Testing of an Advanced Lightweight Freezable Radiator|
CitationRose, S., Fourquet, H., Rolland, A., and Savin, O., "Columbus Orbital Facility Condensing Heat Exchanger and Filter Assembly, 1999," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2005, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2005.
- SPE 1216270 Condensing Heat exchanger / Filter Assembly Specification The following papers provide further details on the COF CHXFA:
- Fourquet, Hélène Carpentier, Pierre Rolland, André Martin, Claude Pickup, Helen SAE Technical Paper 981776 ’Performance Validation and Optilization of the Columbus Orbital Facility Condensing Heat Exchanger and Filter Assembly
- Pickup, H Zhou, J SAE Technical Paper 972408 1997
- Fourquet, H Carpentier, P. Rolland, A. Martin, C. Pickup, H Rose, S. SAE Technical Paper 972409 1997
- Fourquet, Hélène Carpentier, Pierre Rolland, André Martin, Claude Pickup, Helen Doak, John Ferrall, Jim Porter, Ed SAE Technical Paper 981775 ’Design of Orbital Replacement Units for the Columbus Orbital Facility Condensing Heat Exchanger and Filter Assembly
- McConville, K Lavenir, M Seurig, R Barnes, J Ink-pen, S Spearns, H SAE Technical Paper 972350 1997