This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Testing of a Vacuum Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the development and testing of the distillation subsystem of water regeneration system from urine (WRS-UM) based on a method of vacuum distillation with a rotary multistage vacuum distiller and a thermal pump. Test results show that with relatively small power consumption the subsystem using rotary three-stage vacuum distiller provides high rates of heat and mass transfer processes, useful productivity and distillate quality. The conducted tests have confirmed that it will be efficient to use the presented system as a part of WRS-UM system in Russian segment of the International Space Station.
- N. M. Samsonov - NIICHIMMASH
- L. S. Bobe - NIICHIMMASH
- V. M. Novikov - NIICHIMMASH
- N. S. Farafonov - NIICHIMMASH
- B. Ja. Pinsky - NIICHIMMASH
- V. V. Rakov - NIICHIMMASH
- V. I. Margulis - NIICHIMMASH
- V. G. Rifert - Termodistillatsia
- Ju. I. Grigoriev - RSC “Energia”
- V. V. Komolov - RSC “Energia”
- N. N. Protasov - RSC “Energia”
CitationSamsonov, N., Bobe, L., Novikov, V., Farafonov, N. et al., "Development and Testing of a Vacuum Distillation Subsystem for Water Reclamation from Urine," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1993, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1993.
- Samsonov, N.M. Bobe, L.S. Novikov, V.M. Farafonov, N.S. Systems for water reclamation from humidity condensate and urine for Space Station. 24th ICES and 5th Europiean Symposium SECS Fridrichshafen, Germany June 20-23, 1994 SAE Technical paper series 941536
- Samsonov, N.M. Bobe, L.S. Novikov, V.M. Pinsky, B.Ja. Rakov, V.V. Farafonov, N.S. Rifert, V.G. Barabash, P.A. Protasov, N.N. Komolov. V.V. Development of urine processor distillation hardware for Space Stations. 25th ICES SanDiego Ca., USA July 10-13, 1995 SAE Technical paper series 951605
- Samsonov, N.M. Bobe, L.S. Novikov, V.M. Farafonov, N.S. Pinsky, B.Ja. Rakov, V.V. Protasov, N.N. Rifert, V.G. Updated systems for water recovery from humidity condensate and urine for the International Space Station. 27th ICES Lake Tahoe, Nev., USA July 14-17, 1997 SAE Technical paper series 972559
- Samsonov, N.M. Bobe, L.S. Novikov, V.M. Farafonov, N.S. Rakov, V.V. Pinsky, B.Ja. Zaitsev, E.N. Protasov, N.N. Komolov, V.V. Rifert. V.G. The regeneration water supply system of the MCS Russian segment. 28th ICES Danvers, USA July 13-16, 1998 SAE Technical paper series 981714