This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Semi-Empirical Approach for Modeling Greenhouse Surface Wind Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A CAE procedure for modeling the aerodynamic excitation of greenhouse surface vibration and its reradiation as noise is described. The procedure begins with a description of the steady flow over the surfaces. This is used as a basis for estimating the spatially varying unsteady pressure loading. The approach is semi-empirical, utilizing normalized pressure data collected through wind tunnel testing of production vehicles. The unsteady pressures are utilized within a normal mode analysis to predict vibration of the greenhouse panels. Interior noise associated with the panel vibration is estimated from a statistical energy analysis model. We show that contributions of multiple surfaces can be significant.
CitationConey, W., Her, J., and Moore, J., "A Semi-Empirical Approach for Modeling Greenhouse Surface Wind Noise," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1811, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1811.
- Callister J. George A. “Measurement and Analysis of Automobile Wind Noise,” SAE TP 930299 , presented at SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1993
- Strumolo G. The Wind Noise Modeller: Theory and Applications SAE- 971921 1997
- Corcos G. “The Structure of the Turbulent Pressure Field in Boundary-Layer Flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 18 3 353 378 1964
- Martin N. Wavenumber Filtering by Mechanical Structures Ph.D. Thesis, MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering January 1976
- Blake W. Mechanics of Flow-Induced Sound and Vibration, Volume II Complex Flow Structure Interactions Academic Press 1986
- Masson, B. Nelson P. Nienaltowska E. “Development of a Prediction Method for the Noise Generated by a Separated Flow and Transmitted by a Flexible Surface,” DGLR/AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference Aachen, Germany 1992
- Callister J. George A. “The Transmission of Aerodynamically-Generated Noise through Panels in Automobiles,” 2nd International Congress on Recent Developments in Air-and Structure Borne Sound and Vibration, Auburn University March 1992
- Coney, W. Her J. Moore J. “Characterization of the Wind Noise Loading of Production Automobile Greenhouse Surfaces,” AD-Vol.53-1, Fluid-Structure Interaction, Aeroelasticity, Flow Induced Vibration and Noise ASME November 1997
- Farabee T. Casarella M. “Measurement of Fluctuating Wall Pressure for Separated/Reattached Boundary Layer Flows,” Journal of Stress and Reliability in Design 301 307 108 July 1986
- Lyon R. DeJong R. Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis 2nd Edition Butterworth-Heinemann Boston 1995
- Manning, J. et al SEAM Reference Manual Cambridge Collaborative 1990
- Moeller, M. Pan J. DeJong R. “A Novel Approach to Statistical Energy Analysis Model Validation,” Proceedings of the 1995 Noise and Vibration Conference , SAE 951328 1995
- Pan, J. Thomas R. Moeller M. “Verifying Vehicle SEA Model Predictions for Airborne Noise Transmission Using Designed Experiments,” InterNoise 96 Liverpool, UK 1996
- Bharj T. Cimmerman B. “Application of Statistical Energy Analysis (SEA) to a Passenger Vehicle, Combining Analytical and Test Based Prediction in a Hybrid Model,” InterNoise 96 Liverpool, UK 1996
- Kadman Y. Hayden R. “Design and Performance of High Speed Free-Jet Acoustic Wind Tunnel,” AIAA Paper 75-531 March 1975
- Coney, W. Moeller M. Moore J. “Experimental Characterization of Wind Noise Excitation and Transmission Using a Production Automobile,” Flow Noise Modeling Measurement and Control 19 230 ASME 1995
- Her, J. Moore, J. et. al. “Experimental Assessment of Wind Noise Contributors to Interior Noise,” SAE- 971922 1997