This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Engine Exhaust Acoustics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust acoustics simulation is an important part of the exhaust system process. Especially important is the trend towards a coupled approach to performance and acoustics design. The present paper describes a new simulation tool developed for such coupled simulations. This tool is based on a one-dimensional fluid dynamics solution of the flow in the engine manifolds and exhaust and intake elements. To represent the often complex geometries of mufflers, an easy-to-use graphical pre-processor is provided, with which the user builds a model representation of mufflers using a library of basic elements. A comparison made to two engines equipped with exhaust silencers, shows that the predictions give good results.
CitationMorel, T., Silvestri, J., Goerg, K., and Jebasinski, R., "Modeling of Engine Exhaust Acoustics," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1665, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1665.
- Silvestri J.J., Morel T. and Costello M., “Study of Intake System Wave Dynamics and Acoustics by Simulation and Experiment”, SAE Paper 940206, February 1994.
- Torregrosa A.J., Broatch A. and Gonzales-Contreras F., “A Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Behavior of Concentric Perforated Duct Automotive Mufflers”, SAE Paper 960300, February 1996.
- Selamet A., Yonak S.H., Novak J.M., Khan M., “The Effect of Vehicle Exhaust System Components on Flow Losses and Noise in Firing Spark-Ignition Engines”, SAE Paper 951260.
- Ferrari G. and Onorati A., “A Comprehensive 1-D Model for the Simulation of Gas Flow Through I.C. Engine Pipe Systems with Chemical Species Tracking”, FISITA Paper F98T154, 1998 FISITA Congress, Paris.
- Pilo L., Gamba F. and Challen B.J., “Prediction of Vehicle Radiated Noise”, SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Paper 97NV20, May 1997.
- Challen B.J., “Modern Modelling for I.C. Engines - Intake and Exhaust System Design”, Acoustics Bulletin, January/February 1998, pp 5-9.
- Morel T., Morel J. and Blaser D.A., “Fluid-Dynamic and Acoustic Modeling of Concentric-Tube Resonators/Silencers”, SAE Paper 910072, February, 1991.
- Morel T., Keribar R., Silvestri J.J. and Wahiduzzaman S., “Integrated Engine/Vehicle Simulation and Control”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0907, March 1999.
- Woschni G., , “An Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 76, p. 3065, 1967.
- Morel T. and Keribar R. , “A Model for Predicting Spatially and Time Resolved Convective Heat Transfer in Bowl-in-Piston Combustion Chambers”, SAE Paper 850204, SAE Congress, February, 1985.