This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Compliance Criteria for Side Facing Aircraft Seats
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of side facing seat impact sled tests were conducted using the SID, EuroSID-1 and BioSID side impact Anthropomorphic Test Dummies (ATDs) at the FAA Civil Aeromedical Institute (CAMI). The tests were performed on a side facing sofa fixture with a rigid bulkhead adjacent to the forward end of the seat. The purpose of the research project was to examine the methods utilized by the automobile industry to assess thoracic injuries due to side impact accidents, and to investigate the potential applicability of these methods for side facing seats and sofas in civil aircraft. Tests were conducted with single and double occupants. The test conditions complied with the 16g 44 f/s horizontal impact specified in 14 CFR 25.562. Various side impact injury criteria were evaluated in the tests, including the Thoracic Trauma Index (TTI), Viscous Criteria (VC), rib deflection and pelvis acceleration. Analysis of the data acquired from the tests and observations related to injury parameters from the three ATDs are presented. Seating and restraint system configurations that indicated potential improvements in occupant protection for side facing seats were also identified.
- V. Gowdy - Civil Aeromedical Institute, Federal Aviation Administration
- R. DeWeese - Civil Aeromedical Institute, Federal Aviation Administration
- H. M. Lankarani - National Institute for Aviation Research, Wichita State University
- P. Kishore - National Institute for Aviation Research, Wichita State University
- A. Murthy - National Institute for Aviation Research, Wichita State University
CitationLankarani, H., Kishore, P., Murthy, A., Gowdy, V. et al., "Compliance Criteria for Side Facing Aircraft Seats," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1598, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1598.
- Marcus, J.H. Morgan, R.M. Eppinger, R.H. Kallieris, D. Mattern, R. Schmidt, G. 1983 Human Response to and Injury from Lateral Impact SAE Paper No. 831634
- SAE Advisory Report 1 Chapter 2 Adult dummies: past and present
- SAE Advisory Report 3 Chapter 6 Instrumentation and Data Acquisition
- SAE Advisory Report 2 Chapter 5 Injury Assessment
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 214 Side impact production docket no.88-06, notice 8 RIN 2127-AB86.
- Cavanaugh, J.M. Malhotra, T.J. 1990 Biomechanical Response and Injury Tolerance of the Pelvis in Twelve Sled Side Impacts SAE Paper No 902305
- Cavanaugh, J.M. Timothy Walilko Anthony Walbridge Yue Huang Albert I.K. 1994 An Evaluation of TTI and ASA in SID Side Impact Sled Tests SAE Paper No. 942225
- Lau, V.I. Viano, D.C. 1986 The Viscous Criteria-Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues SAE Paper No. 861882 , 31st STAPP car crash conference Warrendale, Pennsylvania
- Viano, D.C Lau, I.V 1988 A Viscous Tolerance Criterion for Soft Tissue Injury Assessment J. Bio-mechanics 5 387 399
- Gurdjian, E.S. Lissner, H.R. Latimer, F.R. Haddad, B.F. Webster, J.E. 1953 Quantitative Determination of Acceleration and Intercranial Pressure in Experimental Head Injury Neurology 3 417 423
- Gurdjian, E.S. Roberts, V.L. Thomas, L.M. 1964 Tolerance Curves of Acceleration and Intercranial Pressure and Protective Index in Experimental Head Injury J. of Trauma 6 600
- Desjardins, S.P. Shane, S.J. 1991 Structural testing of transport seats Aircraft Interiors conference Wichita, KS, NIAR
- Viano, D.C 1987 Evaluation of the SID dummy criterion for side impact testing 31 st STAPP car crash conference , SAE Paper No # 872208 Warrendale, Pennsylvania
- Hargrav, M.W. Hansen, A.G. Hinch, J.A. 1989 A Summary of Recent Side impact Research conducted by the Federal Highway Administration SAE Paper No. 890377
- Henson, S. Hultman, R. Daniel, R. Spadafora, A. Parekh, I. 1994 EUROSID vs. BIOSID Automotive Engineering December 102 12
- Beebe, S.M. 1990 What is BioSID? SAE Paper No. 900377 International congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 26 March 2 1990
- Campbell, K.L. Wasko, R.L. Henson, S.E. 1990 Analysis of Side Impact Test Data Comparing SID and BioSID SAE Paper No 902319