This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Ice Adhesion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study was conducted to investigate ice-adhesion on clean and coated aluminum surfaces. A test apparatus using the parallel plate linear shear technique was designed along with a data acquisition system for conducting the tests and recording the experimental data. A low pulling rate was applied to specially prepared test specimens for measuring the strength of ice adhesion for a range of test conditions. The effects of surface roughness, surface contamination, and water impurity on ice adhesion were investigated. In addition, tests were conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of a low ice-adhesion coating applied to aluminum test specimens.
The results obtained showed that the bond between ice and metal was considerably lower for tap water than for distilled water. For the clean and coated aluminum surfaces the strength of ice adhesion varied with specimen roughness. However, no clear trend was established between ice adhesion strength and surface roughness. In some but not in all cases the low-adhesion coating reduced the adhesion strength of ice.
Previous investigations have shown considerable scatter in ice adhesion measurements obtained from repeated tests. In this study, the scatter in the data was substantially reduced by careful control of the test parameters, which influence the experimental measurements.
CitationAlansatan, S. and Papadakis, M., "Experimental Investigation of Ice Adhesion," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1584, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1584.
- Chu, M. L Scavuzzo, R. J. Kellackey, C. J. O. Tensile Properties of Impact Ices AIAA Paper 92 0883
- Reich, A. D. Interface Influences Upon Ice Adhesion to Airfoil materials AIAA Paper 94 0714
- Anderson, D. N. Reich, A. D. Tests of the Performance of Coatings for Low Ice Adhesionz NASA TM 107399, AIAA Paper 97 0303
- Ford, T Nichols, O Adhesion Shear Strength of Frozen to Clean and Lubricated Surfaces NLR Report 5832 Naval Research Dept. D.C. Washington Aug 30 1962
- Baker, H. Bascom, W. Singleterry, C “The Adhesion of Ice to Lubricating Surfaces” J. Colloid Science 17 447 1962
- Moghe, S. “Analysis of Shear Joints” unprinted report
- Jellinek, H. H. G. “Ice Adhesion” Canadian Journal of Physics 40 1294 1309 1962
- Lacks, H. Quatinetz, M. Freiberger, A. “Ice Adhesion Apparatus and Test Method” ASTM Bulletin 48 50 Sept 1957
- Sibbitt, W. L Fontaine, W.E. Dotson, J. P. Ice Formation on Metal Surfaces Refrigerating Engineering 62 12 49 51 1954
- Fontaine, W.E. Stene, J. K. Discussion of Some Strength Characteristics of Ice at the Interface ASHARE 68th Annual Meeting in Denver, CO June 26-28 1961
- Landy, M. Freiberger, A. Studies of Ice Adhesion Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 25 231 244 1967
- Raraty, L. E. Tabor, D. The Adhesion and Strength Properties of Ice Proceedings of Royal Society London A235 184 201 1958
- Loughborough, D. L. Haas, E. G. Reduction of the Adhesion of Ice to De-Icer Surfaces Journal of Aeronautical Sciences 126 134 March 1946
- Loughborough, D. L. The Physics of the Mechanical Removal of Ice from Aircraft Aeronautical Engineering Review 29 34 February 1952
- Anderson. D. A. “Multi-Blade Static Tests of Ice Adhesion April 1997 unprinted report
- Chu, M. L. Scavuzzo, R. J. Adhesive Shear Strength of Impact Ice AIAA Journal 29 11 1921 1926 1991
- Xian, X. Chu, M. L. Scuvazzo, R. J. Srivatsan, T. S. An Experimental Evaluation of the Tensile Strength of Impact Ice Journal of Materials Science Letters 8 1205 1208 1989
- Whitehouse, D. J. “Handbook of Surface Metrology” Institute of Physics Publishing Ltd. 1994
- Montgomery, D. C Runger, G. C Applied Statistics and Probability John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1994