This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Automated System for Drill Bit Verification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerospace manufactures purchase millions of drill bits each year for the manufacture of large aircraft structures. This paper describes an ongoing research project for the development of an automated system to detect poor quality drill bits before they are put to use.
|Technical Paper||Flex Track Drill|
|Technical Paper||5-Axis Flex Track Drilling Systems on Complex Contours: Solutions for Position Control|
CitationCheraghi, S., Twomey, J., Krishnan, K., and Bahr, B., "An Automated System for Drill Bit Verification," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1565, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1565.
- DeFillipi, A. Ippolito, R. Adaptive Control in Turning: Cutting Forces and Tool Wear Relationship for P10, P20, P30 Carbides Annals of CIRP 17 377 385
- Liu, T.I. Anantharaman, K.S. Intelligent Classification and Measurement of Drill Wear Transactions of the ASME 116 392 397 1994
- Langenstein, M. On-line Hole Quality Evaluation During Drilling: A Basis for Adaptive Control of Precision Drilling Master’s Thesis Michigan Technological University 1988
- Rubenstein, C. The Torque and Thrust Force in Twist Drilling - I. Theory International Journal of Machine Tools Manufacturers 31 4 481 489 1991
- Ricon, D.M. Ulsoy, A.G. Effects of Drill Vibrations on Cutting Forces and Torque CIRP Annals 43 1 59 62 1994
- Hornik, K. Stinchcombe, M. White, H. Multilayer feedforward networks are universal approximators Neural Networks, 2 359 366 1990
- Chandrasekharan, V. Kapoor, S.G. DeVor, R.E. A Mechanistic Model to Predict the Cutting Force System for Arbitrary Drill Point Geometry Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 120 563 570 1998
- Venkatesh, K. Zhou, M. Caudill, R.J. Design of artificial neural networks for tool wear Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 8 215 226 1997
- Kuo, R.J. Cohen, P.H. Intelligent tool wear estimation system through artificial neural networks and fuzzy modeling Artificial Intelligence in Engineering 12 229 242 1998
- Lin, S.C. Ting, C. J. Drill wear monitoring using neural networks International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacturing 36 465 475 1996
- Rumelhart, D.E. Hinton, G.E. Williams, R.J. Learning internal representations by error propagation. In Parallel Distributed Processing: Explorations in the Microstructure of Cognition 1 Foundations Rumelhart D. E. McClelland J.L. PDP group MIT Press Cambridge, MA 318 362 1986
- Werbos, P.J. Beyond Regression: New Tools for Prediction and Analysis in the Behavioral Sciences Ph.D. in Statistics Harvard University 1974
- Efron, B. 1982 The Jackknife, the Bootstrap, and Other Resampling Plans SIAM NSF-CBMS Monograph, 38
- Twomey, J.M. Smith, A. E. Bias and variance of validation methods for function approximation neural networks under conditions of sparse data IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 28 417 430 1998