This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety and Maintenance Management: A View from an Ivory Tower
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 13, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Contemporary principles of management apply to the aviation maintenance manager as much as they apply to manufacturing, marketing, and other kinds of managers. Maintenance managers plan, organize, lead, and control, all in the context of complying with urgent business imperatives. This paper discusses aviation maintenance management imperatives in hopes of enhancing the professionalism of the field’s culture with regard to airworthiness and safety.
CitationMcGrath, R., "Safety and Maintenance Management: A View from an Ivory Tower," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1422, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1422.
- Higgins, J.A. 0-02-345492-9 1992 The Management Challenge MacMillan New York
- Porter, M.E. 0-02-925361-6 1990 The Competitive Advantage of Nations Free Press New York
- Pearce, J.A. Robinson, R.B. 0-256-15478-3 1994 Strategic Management Irwin New York
- Aircraft Maintenance Management Seminar September 17-20 1996 Transportation Systems Consulting Corp Palm Harbor, Florida
- Velocci, A.L. 1997 “GE Purchase of Greenwich Air Sets Stage for MRO Overhaul,” Aviation Week and Space Technology March 17 29
- McKenna, J.T. 1997 “MROs’ Challenge: Quality Vs. Cost,” Aviation Week and Space Technology April 14 44 46
- Phillips, E.H. 1997 “Lower Costs Called Key to MRO Growth,” Aviation Week and Space Technology April 21 34 35
- “NTSB: ValuJet, Sabre Tech, FAA Share Blame for Everglades Crash,” Overhaul and Maintenance September-October 67
- Seidenman, P. Spanovich, D. 1997 “Global Competition Drives Maintenance Market,” Aviation Maintenance June 15 8 13
- Rosenberg, B. 1996 “MRO Competition Intensifies: A Global Supplier Survey,” Aviation Week and Space Technology June 24 S1 S11
- Stern, W. 1996 “A Greater Threat Than Terrorism?” BusinessWeek September 9 86 88
- McKenna, J.T. 1996 “ValuJet Hearing Bares Chain of Errors,” Aviation Week and Space Technology November 31 33
- McKenna, J.T. Scott, W.B. 1996 “Sabre Tech Repairs Focus of New Probes,” Aviation Week and Space Technology December 23/30 85 86
- Dornier, P. 0-471-12036-7 1998 Global Operations and Logistics Wiley New York
- Mintzberg, H., Quinn, J.B., Voyer, J. 1995 0-13-556567-X The Strategy Process Prentice-Hall Englewood, New Jersey
- Mintzberg, H. 0-02-921371-1 1989 Mintzberg on Management Free Press New York
- Stevenson, W.J. 0-256-13900-8 1996 Production/ Operations Management Irwin Chicago
- Aviation Week and Space Technology November, 4 1996, 47.
- Ott, J. 1996 “The Safety Summit One Year Later,” verhaul and Maintenance January-February 39 41
- Burgelman, R.A. Sayles, L.R. 0-02-904341-7 1986 Inside Corporate Innovation Free Press New York
- Rostow, W.W. 0-19-508043-2 1990 Theorists of Economic Growth from David Hume to the Present Oxford University Press New York
- Williamson, O.E., Winter, S.G. 0-19-508356-3 1993 The Nature of the Firm Oxford University Press New York
- Schumpeter, J.A. 0-06-133008-6 1976 Socialism, Capitalism, and Democracy Harper and Row New York