This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comprehensive Light Vehicle Antilock Brake System Test Track Performance Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To determine if situations and/or conditions exist in which ABS-equipped vehicles do not perform as well as those without ABS, the braking performance of nine passenger vehicles was observed over a comprehensive array of driving conditions.
For most maneuvers, on most surfaces, ABS-assisted stops yielded distances shorter than those made with the ABS disabled. The one exception was on loose gravel where stopping distances increased by an average of 27.2 percent overall. Additionally, the vehicular stability observed during testing was almost always superior with ABS. For the cases in which instability was observed, ABS was not deemed responsible for its occurrence.
CitationForkenbrock, G., Flick, M., and Garrott, W., "A Comprehensive Light Vehicle Antilock Brake System Test Track Performance Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1287, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1287.
- Farmer, C. Lund, A. Trempel, R. Braver, E. R. Fatal Crashes of Passenger Vehicles Before and After Adding Antilock Brake Systems Arlington, VA Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 1996
- Hertz, E. Hilton, J. Johnson, D. An Analysis of the Crash Experience of Passenger Cars Equipped with Antilock Braking Systems NHTSA Technical Report DOT HS 808 279, May 1995
- Evans, L. ABS and Relative Crash Risk Under Different Roadway, Weather, and Other Conditions SAE paper 950353 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1994
- Kahane, C. Preliminary Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Antilock Brake Systems for Passenger Cars NHTSA Technical Report DOT HS 808 206, December 1994
- Garrott, W. R. Mazzae, E. N. An Overview of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Light Vehicle Antilock Brake System Research Program SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1286 Warrendale PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1999
- Hiltner, E. Arehart, C. Radlinski, R. Light Vehicle ABS Performance Evaluation--Phase II NHTSA Final Report, DOT HS 807 924 May 1992
- Hiltner, E. Arehart, C. Radlinski, R. Light Vehicle ABS Performance Evaluation NHTSA Final Report, DOT HS 807 813 December 1991
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Stopping Distance Test Procedure--SAE J299 SEP93 1996 SAE Handbook, 2 Parts and Components, 1996