This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Investigation of Two Variable Geometry Turbochargers for Passenger Vehicle Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of variable geometry turbocharging (VGT) as an aid to performance enhancement has been the subject of much interest for use in high-speed, light-duty automotive diesel applications in recent times (4). One of the key benefits anticipated is the improved transient response possible with such a device over the conventional fixed geometry turbine with wastegate.
The transient responses of two different types of variable geometry turbocharger have been investigated on a dynamic engine test bed. To demonstrate the effect of the turbocharger on the entire system a series of step changes in engine load at constant engine speed were carried out with the turbocharger and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) systems under the control of the engine management microprocessor.
Results are presented which compare the different performance and emissions characteristics of the devices. Some control issues are discussed with a view to improving the transient response of both types. Of particular importance is the interaction between the turbocharger system and the EGR system.
CitationBrace, C., Cox, A., Hawley, J., Vaughan, N. et al., "Transient Investigation of Two Variable Geometry Turbochargers for Passenger Vehicle Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1241, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1241.
- Dunne, J.M. Greening, P.J. “European Emissions Standards for the year 2000” Worldwide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them, IMechE proceedings 25-26 May 1993
- Greening, P.J. “The Future of European Emission Regulations” Engine & Environment AVL Proceedings Grazer Congress 4 5 Sept 1997
- Mikulic, L. “Diesel 2000 - Future Trends & Technologies for Passenger Car Diesel Engines with Direct Injection” Engine & Environment AVL Proceedings Grazer Congress 4 5 Sept 1997
- Hawley, J.G. Wallace, F. Pease, A.C. Cox, A. Horrocks, R.W. Bird, G.L. “Variable Geometry Turbo-charging for Lower Emissions and Improved Torque Characteristics” Journal of Automobile Engineering IMechE Proceedings 1998
- Van Nieuwstadt, M. Moraal, P. Kolmanovsky, I. Stefanopoulou, A. “A comparison of SISO and MIMO designs for EGR-VGT control of a High Speed Diesel Engine” IFAC Workshop on Advances in Automotive Control Mohican State Park Ohio USA Feb. 1998