This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Color Combustion Visualization of Single and Split Injections in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine Using an Endoscope-Based Imaging System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study of luminous combustion in a modern diesel engine was performed to investigate the effect of injection parameters on NOX and soot formation via flame temperature and soot KL factor measurements. The two-color technique was applied to 2-D soot luminosity images and area-averaged soot radiation signals to obtain spatially and temporally resolved flame temperature and soot KL factor. The imaging system used for this study was based on a wide-angle endoscope that was mounted in the cylinder head and allowed different views of the combustion chamber. The experiments were carried out on a single-cylinder 2.4 liter D.I. diesel engine equipped with an electronically controlled common-rail injection system. Operating conditions were 1600 rpm and 75% load.
The two-color results confirm that retarding the injection timing causes lower flame temperatures and NOX emissions but increased soot formation, independent of injection strategy. Split injections have been shown to be a powerful tool to simultaneously reduce soot and NOX emissions when the injection timing is optimized. Injection termination and resumption prevents not only fuel-rich combustion zones but also causes more complete combustion during the injection dwell due to better air utilization. However, split injections can also result in worse soot emissions when either the injection timing is too retarded, leading to poor ignition, or the injection dwell is not optimized.
“Stereo” views of two-color images imply that soot formation occurs most likely in the fuel-rich core of the spray plumes near its leading edge. Higher soot KL factors were found along the bottom and the wall of the piston bowl. Peak local flame temperatures for the single injections reached up to 2800 K and above. The calculated KL factors were between 0.1 (thin soot) and 3.0 (thick soot) for all injection cases.
CitationBakenhus, M. and Reitz, R., "Two-Color Combustion Visualization of Single and Split Injections in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine Using an Endoscope-Based Imaging System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1112, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1112.
In-Cylinder Velocity Measurements, Combustion, and Flow Diagnostics
Number: SP-1446; Published: 1999-03-01
Number: SP-1446; Published: 1999-03-01
- Nehmer, D.A. Reitz, R.D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NO X Emissions” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Tow, T.C. Pierpont, D.A. Reitz, R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NO X Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Choi, C. Bower, G. Reitz, R.D. “Effects of Biodiesel Blended Fuels and Multiple Injections on D.I. Diesel Engine Emissions” SAE Paper 970218 1997
- Pierpont, D.A. Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NO X Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Montgomery, D.T. Reitz, R.D. “Six-Mode Cycle Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and Multiple Injections on Particulate and NO X Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960316 1996
- Grunwald, M. “Two-Dimensional Flame Temperature Measurements of Diesel Combustion Using the Two-Color Method” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1994
- Yan, J. Borman, G.L. “Analysis and In-Cylinder Measurements of Particulate Radiant Emissions and Temperatures in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 881315 1988
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “Formation and Oxidation Processes of Soot Particulate in a D.I. Diesel Engine - an Experimental Study via the Two-Color Method” SAE Paper 820464 1982
- Kobayashi, S. Sakai, T. Nakahira, T. Komori, M. Tsujimura, K. “Measurement of Flame Temperature Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 920692 1992
- Shakal, J.S. “Effects of Auxiliary Injection on Diesel Engine Combustion” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1993
- Li, X. Wallace, J.S. “In-Cylinder Measurements of Temperature and Soot Concentration Using the Two-Color Method” SAE Paper 950848 1995
- Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R.D. “Two-Color Imaging of In-Cylinder Soot Concentration and Temperature in a Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine with Comparison to Multidimensional Modeling for Single and Split Injections” SAE Paper 980524 1998
- Dec, J.E. Espey, C. “Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics” SAE Paper 950456 1995
- Tree, D.R. “Soot Particulate Size and Number Density Measurements in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using Light Scattering, Radiation, and Extinction” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1992
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study on the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D.I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method” SAE Paper 790491 1979
- Hottel, H.C. Broughton, F.P. “Determination of True Temperature and Total Radiation from Luminous Gas Flames” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Analytical 4 1932
- Flynn, P. Mizusawa, M. Uyehara, O.A. Myers, P.S. “An Experimental Determination of the Instantaneous Potential Radiant Heat Transfer within an Operating Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 720022 1972
- Yan, J. “Analyses and In-Cylinder Measurements of Local and Hemispherical Particulate Radiant Emissions and Temperatures in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison 1988
- Miyaki, M. Fujisawa, H. Masuda, A. Yamoamoto, Y. “Development of a New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 for Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 910252 1991
- Han, Z. Uludogan, A. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R.D. „Mechanism of Soot and NO X Emission Reduction Using Multiple Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960633 1996
- Dec, J.E. “A Conceptual Model of D.I. Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging” SAE Paper 970873 1997