This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Oxygen Storage Characteristics on Automobile Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The catalytic performance and On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) of the manifold catalyst having high Oxygen Storage Capacity (OSC) are described in this paper.
First of all, we compared the performance of three-way catalysts containing Cerium - Zirconium - Yttrium oxide with Cerium - Zirconium oxide. Three-way catalysts dispersed Pt, Rh and Pd on Cerium - Zirconium - Yttrium oxide showed excellent catalytic performance especially at cold starting and at transient states, after high temperature aging at 1050°C. The performance of these catalysts was studied using the Driving Mode Simulation Dynamometer, which was developed in-house, and oxygen storage and release responses were compared in actual gas.
Then we investigated the possibility of on-board diagnostics of catalyst deactivation with high OSC in manifold and close-coupled positions, a diagnostic which is usually assumed to be difficult to attain with present conventional technology. We achieved finding a correlation between the HC emission of catalysts and the delay in response of two exhaust gas sensors even at high temperatures (700°C) with high gas flow rate.
|Technical Paper||Optimal Forming of Aluminum 2008-T4 Conical Cups Using Force Trajectory Control|
|Technical Paper||Individual Cylinder Fuel Control with a Switching Oxygen Sensor|
|Technical Paper||Microkinetics Modeling of Catalytic Converters|
CitationTan, I., Yamamoto, M., Yamada, K., and Tanaka, H., "Influence of Oxygen Storage Characteristics on Automobile Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1076, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1076.
- TanakaH. and YamamotoM., “Improvement in Oxygen Storage Capacity” SAE Paper 960794 (1996)
- Yamada K., Tanaka H. and Yamamoto M., “Oxygen Storage Capacity on Cerium Oxide-Precious Metal System” SAE Paper 970464 (1997).
- Tanaka H., TanI., Yamada Koji and Yamamoto M., “Oxygen Storage Components for Three-Way Catalysts” ISATA (1998).
- Yamamoto M. and Tanaka H., “Influence of Support Materials on Durability of Palladium in Three-Way Catalyst” SAE Paper 980664 (1998).
- “OBD-II Performance of Three-way Catalysts”, Automot Eng Int, July (1998) 33.
- Tanaka H., Fujikawa H. and Takahashi I., “Excellent Oxygen Storage Capacity of Perovskite-Pd Three-Way Catalysts”, SAE Paper 950256 (1995).
- Serizawa T., Tan I. and Tanaka H., “Virtual Vehicle System for Development of Clean Emission Engines” FISITA (1998).