This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Sealing Performance of Flexible Box-Shaped Bolted Flanged Joints Using Liquid Sealant Subjected to Internal Pressure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is important to improve the sealing performance of bolted flanged joints subjected to internal pressure. Recently, bolted joints with flexible flanges of stamped steel have been used in an oil-pan structure of automobile from a lightweight viewpoint. However, it is difficult to improve the sealing performance of flexible flanged bolted joints due to the reduction of the interface pressure. In this paper, a liquid sealant is applied to a box-shape flexible flanged bolted joints subjected to internal pressure in order to improve the sealing performance. In the experiments, a leakage is observed when a box-shape flanged joints in which liquid sealants are applied to the interfaces between aluminum flexible flanges with thickness of 1 and 3 mm and the steel (aluminum) flange with 10 mm thickness. Experiments are also conducted on bolted joints with asbestos gaskets. In addition, the effects of the adjacent bolt distance and bolt preload on the sealing performance are examined. The experiments are conducted on bolted joints in which similar thickness stamp steel flanges are joined. Moreover, the interface stress distribution of flexible bolted joints with liquid sealants is analyzed using finite-element method. Discussion is made on the sealing performance using the contact stress distributions at the interfaces. As a result, it is found that the sealing performance of box-shape bolted flanged joints with liquid sealant is more improved than that with the conventional gaskets.
CitationYoneno, M., Kawamura, H., Sawa, T., and Shimizu, A., "The Sealing Performance of Flexible Box-Shaped Bolted Flanged Joints Using Liquid Sealant Subjected to Internal Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1031, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1031.
- Sawa, T. et al. 1991 “A Stress Analysis of Pipe Flange Connections” Transaction ASME, Jour. PVT 113 497 503
- Sawa, T. et al. 1994 “Three-Dimensional Stress Analysis of Pipe Flange Connections Subjected to External Bending Moments” 1994 ASME PVP 274 39 46
- Webjorn, J. 1989 “The Theoretical Background to the Verax Compact Flange System” ASME, PVP 158 7 11
- Sawa, T. et al. 1995 “An Analysis of Pipe Flange Connections Using Epoxy adhesives/Anaerobic Sealant Instead of Gaskets” 1995 Transaction ASME, Jour. of PVT 117 298 304
- Yoneno, M. et. al. 1995 “Stress Analysis of Bolted Joint With Gaskets Using Sealant And Bolts” ASME PVP 305 179 187