This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Automatic Transmission System Optimization Using a HMMWV Dynamic Powertrain System Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This Paper introduces a modular, flexible and user-friendly dynamic powertrain model of the US Army's High Mobility Multi-Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV). It includes the DDC 6.5L diesel engine, Hydra-matic 4L80-E automatic transmission, Torsen differentials, transfer case, and flexible drive and axle shafts. This model is used in a case study on transmission optimization design to demonstrate an application of the model. This study shows how combined optimization of the transmission hardware (clutch capacity) and control strategy (shift time) can be explored, and how the models can help the designer understand dynamic interactions as well as provide useful design guidance early in the system design phase.
|Technical Paper||A Modular HMMWV Dynamic Powertrain System Model|
|Technical Paper||A Design for Six Sigma Approach to Optimize a Front-Wheel-Drive Transmission for Improved Efficiency and Robustness|
|Technical Paper||The deLavaud Automatic Transmission|
CitationWang, W., Moskwa, J., and Rubin, Z., "A Study on Automatic Transmission System Optimization Using a HMMWV Dynamic Powertrain System Model," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0977, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0977.
- Hydra-matic 4L80-E Technician's Guide Hydra-matic Division, General Motors Corporation 1990
- Kim, Y. H. Yang, J. Lee J. M. “A Study on the Transient Characteristics of Automatic Transmission with Detailed Dynamic Modeling” SAE 941014
- Moskwa, J. J. Munns, S. A. Rubin, Z. J. “The Development of Vehicular Powertrain System Modeling Methodologies: Philosophy and Implementation” SAE Paper 971089 1997
- Munns, Scott A. “Computer Simulation of Powertrain Components with Methodologies for Generalized System Modeling.” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin in Madison 1997
- Nohr, M. “Slipping Clutch Continuously Variable Transmission Design Study” Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin in Madison 1980
- Rubin, Z. J. “Computer simulation of the HMMWV Powertrain System.” University of Wisconsin-Madison 1997
- Rubin, Z. J. Moskwa, J. J. Munns, S. A. “Development of thee Automotive Research Center (ARC) Powertrain System Dynamic Models.” ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference 28-1 Ft. Collins, Co 1997
- Runde, J. K. “Modeling and Control of an Automatic Transmission.” Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1986
- Winchell, F. J. Route, W. D. “Ratio Changing the Passenger Car Automatic Transmission.” SAE Paper 610407
- Yu, Z. “Automotive Theory” Mechanical Industry Press 7-111-02076-6 1996
- Zhang, H. “Automotive Design” Mechanical Industry Press 7-111-01291-7 1996