This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurements and Predictions of Steady-State and Transient Stress Distributions in a Diesel Engine Cylinder Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A combined experimental and analytical approach was followed in this work to study stress distributions and causes of failure in diesel cylinder heads under steady-state and transient operation. Experimental studies were conducted first to measure temperatures, heat fluxes and stresses under a series of steady-state operating conditions. Furthermore, by placing high temperature strain gages within the thermal penetration depth of the cylinder head, the effect of thermal shock loading under rapid transients was studied. A comparison of our steady-state and transient measurements suggests that the steady-state temperature gradients and the level of temperatures are the primary causes of thermal fatigue in cast-iron cylinder heads. Subsequently, a finite element analysis was conducted to predict the detailed steady-state temperature and stress distributions within the cylinder head. A comparison of the predicted steady-state temperatures and stresses compared well with our measurements. Furthermore, the predicted location of the crack initiation point correlated well with experimental observations. This suggests that a validated steady-state FEM stress analysis can play a very effective role in the rapid prototyping of cast-iron cylinder heads.
CitationLee, K., Assanis, D., Lee, J., and Chun, K., "Measurements and Predictions of Steady-State and Transient Stress Distributions in a Diesel Engine Cylinder Head," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0973, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0973.
- Fitzgeorge, D. Pope, J. A. “An Investigation of the Factors Contributing to the Failure of Diesel Engine Pistons and Cylinder Covers,” Trans. N.E. Coast Institute of Engin. and Shipbuilders 71 163 236 1955
- Shalev, M. Zvirin, Y. Scotter, A. “Experimental and Analytical Investigation of the Heat Transfer and Thermal Stress in a Cylinder Head of a Diesel Engine,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 25 7 471 483 1983
- Blech, J. J. “Heat Transfer and Stress Analysis of Engine Heads and Evaluation of Methods of Preventing Head Cracks,” SAE Paper 820504 1982
- Bertodo, R. Carter, T. J. “Stress Analysis of Diesel Engine Cylinder Heads,” J. of Strain Analysis 6 1 1 12 1971
- Garro, A. Vullo, V. “Some Consideration on the Evaluation of Thermal Stresses in Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 780664 1978
- Nozue, Y. Satoh, H. Umetani, S. “Thermal Stress and Strength Prediction of Diesel Engine Cylinder Head,” SAE Paper 830148 1983
- Groeneweg, M. A. Ahuja, R. Pfeiffer, R. F. Bezue, T. N. “Current Applications of Finite Element Analysis to Diesel Engine Component Design,” SAE Paper 870814 1987
- Rado, G. E. Seaberg, W. G. “Cylinder Head Design Utilizing Rapid Development Tools,” Paper No. 98-ICE-124 31-1 1998 Fall Technical Conference ASME 1998
- Keribar, R. Morel, T. “Thermal Shock Calculations in I.C. Engines,” SAE Paper 870162 1987
- Spalding, D. B. Afgan, N. H. Heat & Mass Transfer in Gasoline and Diesel Engines Hemisphere Publishing Co. 1989
- Lee, K. S. “Study on Heat Transfer and Thermal Behavior Characteristics of Naturally Aspirated Diesel Engine,” Yonsei University Seoul, Korea 1997
- Assanis, D. N. Heywood, J. B. “Development and Use of a Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies,” SAE Paper 860329 1986
- Annand, W. J. D “Experiments on a Model Simulating Heat Transfer between the Inlet Valve of a Reciprocating Engine and the Entering Stream,” Int. Mech. Engr., Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics Convection Bristol 1968
- Hires, S. D. Pochmara, G. L. “An Analytical Study of Exhaust Gas Heat Loss in an Engine Exhaust Port,” SAE Trans. 85 1976
- Kim, B. T. “Thermal and Mechanical Behavior Analysis of a Small Gasoline Block,” J. of KSAE 15 3 55 67 1993
- Hoyt, S. L. Metals Properties Mc-Graw Hill 1954
- Rothmann, M. F. High Temperature Property Data Ferrows Alloys ASM International 1988