This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nondestructive Evaluation of Spot Weld Integrity/Quality: Method Comparison
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper benchmarks some methods of nondestructive testing for zero and high mileage spot weld quality/integrity and degradation evaluation (pin holes, voids, cracks, fatigue, corrosion, etc.). The methods include X-ray radiography, ultrasonic imaging, ultrasonic pulse/ echo, pulsed infrared or thermography, and laser/TV holographic interferometry imaging. The advantages and limitations of each method are provided with descriptive principles and real test examples. It is found that X-ray radiography combined with ultrasonic echo technique is the most favorable one considering time and cost for the current zero and high mileage spot weld evaluation.
CitationChen, F., Kuo, E., Wung, P., and Griffen, C., "Nondestructive Evaluation of Spot Weld Integrity/Quality: Method Comparison," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0944, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0944.
- Newman J.W. “Shearographic Inspection of Aircraft Structure” Material Evaluation 1991
- Jin F. Chiang F.P. “A New Technique Using Digital Speckle Correlation for Nondestructive Testing of Corrosion” Material Evaluation July 1997
- Steinchen W. Yang L.X. Kupfer G. “Digital Shearography for Nondestructive Testing and Vibration Analysis” Experimental Techniques July Aug. 1997
- Chen F. Kuo E. Wung Pey Griffen C.T. Zinkosky Alex “Spot Weld Crack Detection Using Sequential Subtraction Magnification X-ray Microradiography” “Material Evaluation” Journal
- Zoofan B. Rokhlin S.I. “Microradiographic Detection of Corrosion Pitting” 191 Material Evaluation Feb. 1998
- Shepard S. Chaudhry B. Predmesky R. Zaluzec M. “Pulse Thermographic Inspection of Spot Welds” SPIE 3361 1998
- Hermanson K.S. Sandor B.I. “Corrosion Fatigue Modeling Via Differential Infrared Thermography” Experimental Techniques May June 1998
- Poot Adam Polakowski Stephen Simula Glen “Ultrasonic Spot Weld Evaluation Study” Research Report Michigan Technology University 1996
- Papadakis E.P. “Ultrasonic Wave Measurements of Elastic Moduli E, G. and u For Product Development And Design Calculations” J. of Testing and Evaluation, JTEVA 26 3 May 1998 240
- Hagemaier D.J. Wendelbo, A.H. Jr Bar-Cohen Y. “Aircraft Corrosion and Detection” 426 Material Evaluation Mar. 1985
- Chang Jim C.I. “Aging Aircraft Science And Technology Issues And Challenge And USAF Aging Aircraft Program” 47 Structural Integrity in Aging Aircraft, ASME 1995