This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Delivery-Valve Effects on the Performance of an Automotive Diesel Fuel-Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An integrated theoretical and experimental investigation was carried out in order to evaluate the effects that the pump delivery-valve assembly can produce on the performance of a pump-line-nozzle fuel-injection system with a distributor-type pump for automotive diesel engines.
Four distinct delivery valves, one constant-pressure valve, one reflux-hole and two relief-volume valves, were separately fitted to the pump and for each configuration of the delivery assembly the system behavior was analyzed under full-load steady-state operations in a wide pump angular-speed range. Fuel injection-rate as well as local pressure time-histories were investigated, paying specific attention to the occurrence and temporal evolution of cavitation phenomena in the pressure pipe and injector nozzle, after the valve closure. The flow across the delivery-valve assembly was theoretically examined in order to ascertain any instability sources as possible causes of cyclic fluctuations.
The previously developed NAIS code, based on a novel implicit numerical algorithm of the second-order accuracy, was employed for theoretical analysis. The potentialities of the simulation program as a powerful research and design tool complementary to experimentation were shown by the reliable prediction of the cause and effect relationship in some anomalies of the injection system behavior.
CitationCatania, A., Dongiovanni, C., and Spessa, E., "Delivery-Valve Effects on the Performance of an Automotive Diesel Fuel-Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0914, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0914.
- Glassey, S.F. Stockner, A.R. Flinn, M.A. “HEUI-A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems,” SAE Paper No. 930270 1993
- Fischer, W. Fuchs, W. Laufer, H. Reuter, U. “Solenoid-Valve Controlled Diesel Distributor Injection Pump,” SAE Paper No. 930327 1993
- Yang, M. Sorenson, S.C. “Direct Digital Control of Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 940372 1994
- Tschöke, H.E. Walz, L. “Bosch Diesel Distributor Injection Pump Systems - Modular Concept and Further Development,” Proceedings, XXV FISITA Congress Intern. Academic Publishers Beijing 1 138 143 1994
- Rinolfi, R. Imarisio, R. Buratti, R. “The Potentials of a New Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System for the Next Generation of DI Diesel Engines,” 16 th Intern. Wiener Motoren Symposium VDI-Verlag 12 239 1995
- Funai, K. Yamaguchi, T. Itoh, S. “Injection Rate Shaping Technology with Common Rail Fuel System (ECD-U2),” SAE Paper No. 960107 1996
- Catania, A.E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Badami, M. Lovisolo, F. “Numerical Analysis Versus Experimental Investigation of a Distributor-Type Diesel Fuel-Injection System,” ASME Trans., Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 116 814 830 1994
- Catania, A.E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Spessa, E. Lovisolo, F. “Study of Unsteady Flow Phenomena in an Automotive Diesel Injection System,” Proceedings, XXV FISITA Congress Intern. Academic Publishers Beijing 1 124 137 1994
- Catania, A.E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. “Implicit Numerical Model of a High-Pressure Injection System,” ASME Trans., Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 114 534 543 1992
- Catania, A.E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Spessa, E. “Transient Flow and Cavitation Simulation in an Automotive Diesel Injection System Using a Novel Second-Order Accurate Implicit Finite-Difference Scheme,” XVII ETCE, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Symposium New Orleans, LA 1994 1996
- Bosch, R., GmbH “Distributor-Type Fuel-Injection Pump Type VE - Technical Description D 5/2,” Bosch Automotive Equipment Division K5 1981
- Bosch, W. “The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument for Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection,” SAE Paper No. 660749 1966