This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Structural Design and Reliability of Cylinder Head for Vehicle Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For reducing the heat rejection and enhancing the cylinder head's performance of enduring the thermal loads, the LHR cylinder head with a ceramic insulating layer is presented in this paper. The ceramic insulating layer, with the thickness of 0.0 mm, 0.7mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm, is adopted respectively to illustrate the effect of thickness of the ceramic layer on the amount of the heat transfer of the cylinder head. Computed results show that the amount of the heat transfer decrease with the growth of the thickness of the ceramic layer. The three-dimensional FEA is used to calculate the cylinder head's mechanical-thermal comprehensive stresses. According to the FEA results, the stresses of characteristic points of the cylinder head with the heat-insulating layer become larger than those of the non-LHR cylinder head. Then, numerical analyses based on the stress-strength interference are performed to evaluate the cylinder head reliability with different thickness ceramic layer. The results show that all the cylinder heads meet the engineering reliability requirement. The cylinder head with the ceramic layer which thickness is from 0.7mm to 1.5mm reduces the amount of heat transfer from 6.5% to 9.0%.
|Technical Paper||Optimum Fin Layout of Air-Cooled Engine Cylinder in Air Stream|
|Technical Paper||Fin and Cylinder-Baffle Design for Air-Cooled Engines|
|Technical Paper||Heat Transfer in the Cylinder of a Motored Reciprocating Engine|
CitationBing, L., Yong, Z., and Meilin, Z., "A Study on the Structural Design and Reliability of Cylinder Head for Vehicle Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0828, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0828.
- Yong Zhang 3D Finite Elements Method Analysis of Low Heat Rejection Cylinder Head Huazhong University of Science & Technology 1996
- Danieision, D. Elwart Turner J. Bryzik W. Thermomechanical Stress Analysis of Novel Low heat Rejection Cylinder Head Designs SAE Trans., 930985
- Miyair Y. Computer Simulation of an LHR DI Diesel Engine SAE Trans., 880187
- Weilun Lu The Computation and Investigation of Temperature field of a Cylinder Head with Three-Dimensional Finite Element Trans. Of CSICE 1987
- Huang Jeffrey C. Borman Cary L. Measurement of Instantaneous Heat Flux to Metal and Ceramic Surface in a Diesel Engine SAE Trans. 870155
- Hall W. Brent Mechanical Reliability Calculations Using the Design-point Methods SAE Trans., 870791
- Ridder R. L. Landgraf R. W. Thangjitham S. Reliability Analysis of an Automotive Wheel Assembly SAE Trans. 930406
- Kapur K. C. Lamberson L. R. Reliability in Engineering Design John Wily New York 1977
- Xiangrui H. Reliability Engineering Press of Tsinghua University Beijing 1990
- Robinstein R. Y. Simulation and the Monte Carlo Method John Wily & Sons New York 1981
- Melchers R. E. Structure Reliability Analysis and Prediction Eills Horwood New York 1987