This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of a Ground Vehicle Body Unsteady Near Wake
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The unsteady near wake of a ground vehicle body was investigated using hot wire anemometry and an unsteady pressure measurement system. A three dimensional bluff body model was used to simulate the time dependent, three dimensional near wake flow field generated by trucks, buses, and automobiles. Coherence and coherence phase were effective methods to analyze the unsteady pressure field and to relate different pressure signals. Spectral analysis of the velocity and pressure signals was used to identify periodic wake flow structures.
The time averaged near wake contains a ring vortex enclosed by shear layers which start where the model boundary layer separates from the body. At the start of the shear layer, vortex shedding was measured at a dimensionless frequency, StH(shed) = 1.157. As these vortices convected along the shear layer, vortex pairing was observed which approximately halves the characteristic frequency. Pairing continued until the shear layers from all sides coalesced at the free stagnation point. The vortices were shed periodically into the far wake from the free stagnation point. The periodic pumping caused interaction of the upper and lower portions of the ring vortex at StH(pumping) = 0.069. This resulted in periodic base pressure fluctuations.
The effects of a base cavity on the unsteady base pressure were also investigated. The base pressure increases with increasing cavity depth and for a cavity depth ratio D/H = 0.8, the mean base pressure increase is 11%. The unsteady pressures are in-phase across the model base, indicating that the bubble pumping mode is suppressed by the base cavity.
CitationDuell, E. and George, A., "Experimental Study of a Ground Vehicle Body Unsteady Near Wake," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0812, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0812.
- Goetz, Hans “Commercial Vehicles” Hucho, W. H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Butterworths 295 354 1987
- Emmelmann, Hans-Joachim “Performance of Cars and Light Vans” Hucho, W.H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Butterworths 83 105 1987
- Piatek, Raimund “Operation, Safety, and Comfort” Hucho, W.H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Butterworths 236 259 1987
- Fujimoto, T. Miyake, N. Watanabe, Y. Takeyama, T. “Suppression of Mud Adhesion to the Rear Surface of a Van-Type Truck” SAE Paper 920203 1992
- George, Albert R. Callister, John R. “Aerodynamic Noise of Ground Vehicles” 1991 SAE General, Corporate, & Regional Aviation Meeting and Exposition, SAE Paper 911027 1991
- Dobrzynski, W. “Wind Induced Interior and Farfield Radiated Exterior Noise of Ground Vehicles” Vehicle Aerodynamics, Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics Lecture Series, 1986-05 March 17-21 1986
- Han, T. Hammond, D. C. Jr. Sagi, C. J. “Optimization of Bluff Body for Minimum Drag in Ground Proximity” AIAA Paper 90-3027, AIAA 8th Applied Aerodynamics Conference 1990
- Hucho, W. H. Emmelmann, H. J. “Aerodynamische Formoptimierung, ein weg zur Steigerung der Wirtschaftlichkeit von Nutzfahrzeugen” Fortschritt-Bereichte der VDI-Zeitschriften, Series 12 31 1977
- Mason, W. T. Beebe, P. S. “The Drag Related Flow Field Characteristics of Trucks and Buses” Proceedings of the Symposium on Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles Sept. 1976 Sovaran, G. Plenum Press 1978
- Nouzawa, T. Hiasa, K. Nakamura, T. Kawamoto, A. Sato, H. “Unsteady-Wake Analysis of the Aerodynamic Drag of a Notchback Model with Critical Afterbody Geometry” SAE Paper 920202 1992
- Duell, E. G. George, A. R. “Unsteady Near Wake Flows of Ground Vehicle Bodies” AIAA Paper 92-2641, AIAA 10th Applied Aerodynamics Conf. June 1992
- Sims-Williams, D.B. Dominy, R.G. “Experimental Investigation into Unsteadiness and Instability in Passenger Car Aerodynamics” SAE Paper 980391 1998
- Duell, E.G. “Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Near Wakes of Ground Vehicle Bodies” Cornell University 1994
- Duell, E.G. George, A. R. “Periodic Structures in a Ground Vehicle Body Unsteady Near Wake” Manuscript
- Kruiswyk, R. W. Dutton, J. C. “Effects of a Base Cavity on Subsonic Near-Wake Flow” AIAA Journal 28 11 1885 1893 1990
- Duell, E. G. George, A. R. “Measurements in the Unsteady Near Wakes of Ground Vehicle Bodies” SAE Paper 930298 1993
- Ahmed, S. R. Ramm, G. Faltin, G. “Some Salient Features of the Time Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake” SAE Paper 840300 1984
- Chandrsuda, C. Bradshaw, P. “Turbulent Structure of a Reattaching Mixing Layer” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 110 171 194 1981
- Davies, T. W. “A Study of the Aerodynamics of the Recirculation Zone Formed in a Free Annular Air Jet” University of Sheffield England 1969
- Holmes, J. D Lewis, R. E “Optimization of Dynamic-Pressure-Measurement Systems. I. Single Point Measurements” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 25 249 273 1987
- George, William K., Jr. Beuther, Paul D. Lumley, John L. “Processing of Random Signals” Proceedings of the Dynamic Flow Conference 757 799 1978
- Watts, M. E. Acoustic Laboratory Data Acquisition System NASA Tech. Memorandum 102831 April 1991
- Hardin, J. C. Introduction to Time Series Analysis NASA Reference Pub. 1145 39 47 Nov. 1990
- Norton, M. P. Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers 328 370 Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1989
- Berger, E. Scholz, D. Schumm, M. “Coherent Vortex Structures in the Wake of a Sphere and a Circular Disk at Rest and Under Forced Vibrations” Journal of Fluids and Structures 4 231 257 1990
- Eaton, J. K. Johnston, J. P “Turbulent flow reattachment: An experimental study of the flow and structure behind a backward facing step” Thermosciences Div., Dept. of Mech. Eng., Stanford Univ. Report Md-39 June 1980
- Milne-Thompson, L.M. Theoretical Aerodynamics 165 179 Dover Publications Inc. New York 1958
- Frucht, Yaacov I. “High Reynolds Number Incompressible Flow Simulation About Parachute Canopies and Similar Bluff Bodies” University of Leicester 1987