This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unsteady Pressure Analysis of the Wake Flow Behind a Passenger Car Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a system for measuring unsteady pressure at up to 256 spatial points and at frequencies up to 300 Hz. The system consists of commercially available equipment for measuring steady pressures. It is based on the use of electronically scanned pressure (ESP) sensors, 16 A/D converters, and a personal computer to control the whole system and acquire data. The signal outputs through the tubes connecting the pressure taps and the ESP sensors are compensated, as are the phase delays between the scanned signals and the gain variation. A 1/5 scale model of a sedan was used in this experiment. The passenger car model was placed in a wind tunnel equipped with a moving belt, which was operated at the same speed as the uniform flow in the wind tunnel. Pressure measurements were obtained at 252 points in a plane behind the model perpendicular to the uniform flow. Measurements were made with the belt turned on and off.
CitationIshihara, Y. and Takagi, M., "Unsteady Pressure Analysis of the Wake Flow Behind a Passenger Car Model," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0810, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0810.
- Cogotti, A. “A strategy for optimum surveys of passenger-car flow fields,” SAE Paper 890374 1989
- Yamaguchi, I Takagi, M. Umezaki, K. Nakatsuru, K. “5-hole Pitot tube study of airflow around passenger car models in a scale model wind tunnel with a moving belt,” Proc of the 2 nd China-Japan Symposium on Visualization 525 532 1992
- Yamaguchi, I Takagi, M. Kurishima, K. Mori, T. “Measurement of wake flow fields, including reverse flow, of scale vehicle models using a new 13-hole Pitot tube,” SAE Paper 960676 1996
- Duell, E. G. “Experimental Investigation of Unsteady Near Wakes of Ground Vehicle Bodies,” Cornell University 1994
- Hibi, K. Fujii, K. Ueda, H. Shimada, K. “Visualization of fluctuating surface pressure distribution on bluff body using electronically scanning pressure sensors,” Proc of the Fifth International Symposium on Flow Visualization, Prague 1989
- Ishihara, Y. Takagi, M. “Unsteady pressure measurement of the wake behind a passenger car model (in Japanese),” Journal of the Visualization Society of Japan 17 2 15 18 1997
- Takagi, M. Ishihara, Y. “Visualization of Unsteady Wake Structures Using ESP Sensors,” 8th International Symposium on Flow Visualization 1998