This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Improved Wind Tunnel Configuration for the Investigation of Aerodynamic Cross Wind Gust Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An improved technique is described for the experimental modeling of transient cross wind gust influences on passenger vehicles. The new configuration uses a set of vertical axis shutters which open and close in a ‘Mexican wave’ fashion to scan the cross wind jet along the working section of the wind tunnel. The new arrangement dramatically increases the rate at which experiments can be performed and offers the opportunity to apply phase-averaging techniques to multiple data sets in order to reduce noise. This is a significant development as most previous test methods have suffered from poor signal to noise ratios. Experimental results are presented for transient surface pressure measurements on a simplified vehicle model which clearly demonstrate the benefits of the new technique.
CitationDominy, R. and Ryan, A., "An Improved Wind Tunnel Configuration for the Investigation of Aerodynamic Cross Wind Gust Response," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0808, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0808.
- Beauvais, F.N. Transient Nature of Gust Effects on an Automobile. SAE Paper 670608, 1967
- Macklin, A.R., Garry, K.P., Howell, J.P. Comparing Static and Dynamic Testing Techniques for the Cross-Wind Sensitivity of Road Vehicles. SAE paper 960674, 1996.
- Docton, M.K.R., Dominy, R.G. The Simulation of Transient Cross-Winds on Passenger Vehicles. MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Birmingham, U.K., 1994
- Ryan, A., Dominy, R.G. The Aerodynamic Forces Induced on a Passenger Vehicle in Response to a Transient Cross-Wind Gust at a relative Incidence of 30°. SAE paper 980392, 1998,
- Docton, M.K.R. The Simulation of Transient Cross-Winds on Passenger Vehicles. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Durham, U.K., 1997
- Irwin, H.P.A.H.,Cooper, K.R., Girard, R. Correction of Distortion Effects Caused by Tubing Systems in Measurements of Fluctuating Pressures. Journal of Industrial Aerodynamics, 5, 1979.
- Sims-Williams,D.B. Dominy, R.G. Experimental Investigation into Unsteadiness and Instability in Passenger Car Aerodynamics, SAE paper 980391, SAE International Congress, Detroit, 1998.