This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Ground Condition on the Flow Around a Wheel Located Within a Wheelhouse Cavity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A 3D Navier-Stokes CFD model of a wheel located within a wheelhouse cavity has been produced. Both a stationary wheel on a fixed ground and a rotating wheel on a moving ground were considered. Extensive comparisons with the results of a wind tunnel investigation based on the same geometry are presented. These consist of three force coefficients and pressures on the internal faces of the cavity. Comparison with the experimental results gave encouraging agreement. It was found that the rotating wheel produced more drag than the stationary wheel whilst shroud drag decreased when the groundplane was moving compared to when it was stationary.
CitationAxon, L., Garry, K., and Howell, J., "The Influence of Ground Condition on the Flow Around a Wheel Located Within a Wheelhouse Cavity," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0806, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0806.
- Wickern.G. . Rotating Wheels - Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and on Vehicle Drag Results. Technical Report 970133, SAE, 1997.
- Axon.L.J. . An Evaluation of CFD for Modelling the Flow Around Stationary and Rotating Isolated Wheels. Technical Report 980032, SAE, 1998.
- Oswald.L.J. and Browne.A.L. The Airflow Field Aound an Operating Tire and its Effect on Tire Power Loss. Technical Report 810166, SAE, 1981.
- Cogotti.A. Aerodynamic Characteristics of Car Wheels. In Technological Advances in Vehicle Design Series, SP3 - Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design, pages 173-196. International Journal of Vehicle Design, 1983.
- Pfadenhauer.M. . On the Influenece of Wheels and Tyres on the Aerodynamic Drag of Vehicles. In Proceedings of the MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, 1996.
- Fabijanic.J. An Experimental Investigation of Wheel-Well Flows. Technical Report 960901, SAE, 1996.
- Fabijanic.J. and George.A.R. An Experimental Investigation of the Aerodynamics of Automobile Wheel Wells. Technical Report 962475, AIAA, 1996.
- Hackett.J.E. . On the Influence of Ground Movement and Wheel Rotation in Tests on Modern Car Shapes. Technical Report 870245, SAE, 1987.
- Mercker.E. . On the Aerodynamic Interference Due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars. Technical Report 910311, SAE, 1991.
- Piccioni.C.F. . Numerical Investigation on the Fender of a Motorcycle. Technical Report 970412, SAE, 1997.
- Fluent Europe. FLUENT/UNS 4.0 USER’S GUIDE, 1996.
- Fluent Europe. GEOMESH 3.0 USER’S GUIDE, 1996.
- Fluent Europe. TGRID 3.0 USER’S GUIDE, 1997.