This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Computational Model to Simulate the Thermal Behaviour of the Passengers Compartment of Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a computational model developed with the objective of simulating the thermal behaviour of the passengers' compartment of vehicles is presented. The model is based on the space-integral energy balance equations for the air inside the compartment and for the main vehicle bodies and surfaces. It can solve two kinds of problems. In the first one, calculates the heat stress that the air conditioning or heating system must equilibrate, in order to satisfy predefined permanent regimen project specifications. In the second one, once imposed a particular air conditioning system and given the ambient conditions, it computes the different temperatures and heat fluxes either in transient or steady regimens.
The validation of this model was done with a railway car, in a summer situation, when it was immobilized and running. The model reproduced well the experimentally determined temperature and heat fluxes evolutions. However, the numeric simulation showed a best agreement with the experimental results when the convection heat transfer coefficients, determined experimentally in this work, were used.
|Technical Paper||Modeling of In-Vehicle Heat Transfers Using Zonal Approach|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Vehicle Hot Room Test|
|Technical Paper||A Simple Model for Calculating Vehicle Thermal Loads|
CitationConceição, E., Silva, M., André, J., and Viegas, D., "A Computational Model to Simulate the Thermal Behaviour of the Passengers Compartment of Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0778, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0778.
- Shimizu, S. Hara, H. Azakawa, F. 1983 ‘Analysis on Air-Conditioning Heat Load of a Passenger Vehicle’ International Journal of Vehicle Design 4 3 292 311
- Fanger, P. O. 1972 ‘Thermal Comfort’ Technical Press 1972
- Incropera, F, P. DeWitt D. P. 1990 Fundaments of Heat and Mass Transfer New York John Wiley & Sons
- Chiou, J. P. 1986 ‘Application of Solar-Powered Ventilator in Automobiles’ SAE, International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 1986 13 22
- Iqbal, M. 1983 An Introduction to Solar Radiation Academic Press
- Duffie, J. A. Beckman, W. A. 1980 Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes New York John Wiley & Sons
- Hildebrand, F. B. 1956 Introduction to Numerical Analysis McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.
- Conceição, E. Z. E. 1996 Estudo Aero-Térmico do Comportamento Térmico de Veículos de Transporte de passageiros
- Fujii, T. Imura, H. 1972 ‘Natural-Convection Heat Transfer From a Plate With Arbitrary Inclination’ International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 15 755 766
- Churchill, S. W. Chu, H. H. S. 1975 ‘Correlating Equations for Laminar and Turbulent Free Convection From a Vertical Plate’ International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 18 1323 1329
- Kreith, F. 1977 Princípios da Transmissão de Calor São Paulo, Brasil Blücher Edgard
- Chen, T. S. Armaly, B. F. Ramachandran, N. 1986 ‘Correlation for Laminar Mixed Convection Flows on Vertical, Inclined and Horizontal Flat Plates’ Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Heat Transfer 108 November 1986 835 840
- Armaly, B. F. Chen, T. S. Ramachandran, N. 1987 ‘Correlations for Laminar Mixed Convections on Vertical, Inclined and Horizontal Flat Plates with Uniform Surface Heat Flux’ International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 30 2 405 408