This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of Driver Inflator Predictor Variables with the Viscous Criterion for the Mid-Sized Male, Instrumented Test Dummy in the Chest-on-Module Condition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new inflator specification, the “inflator thrust variable,” was developed to better explain measured mid-sized male, instrumented test dummy responses in the chest-on-module test condition. Specifically, controlled laboratory experiments were conducted with non-production, driver airbag modules with inflators of various outputs and gas constituents in an effort to assess their effects on a pertinent occupant response. Regression analyses showed that the inflator thrust variable is a better predictor of the observed variation in peak viscous criterion responses than either peak tank pressure or the related pressure rise rate when inflators of differing gas composition were compared.
CitationLaituri, T. and Prasad, P., "Correlation of Driver Inflator Predictor Variables with the Viscous Criterion for the Mid-Sized Male, Instrumented Test Dummy in the Chest-on-Module Condition," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0763, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0763.
- NHTSA Effectiveness of Occupant Protection Systems and Their Use Second Report to Congress February 1996
- Prasad, Priya Laituri, Tony R. Consideration of Belted FMVSS 208 Testing 96-S3-O-03, 15th International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Melbourne, Australia May 1996
- Horsch, John Ian Lau Dennis Andrzejak David Viano John Melvin Jeff Pearson David Cok Greg Miller Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads SAE Paper 902324 , 34th Stapp Conference 1990
- Wang, J.T. Nefske, Donald J. A New CAL3D Air-bag Inflation Model SAE Paper 880654 1988
- Van Wylen, Gordon J. Sontag, Richard E. Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics John Wiley & Sons 1978
- Wang, J.T. Recent Advances in Modeling of Pyrotechnic Inflators for Inflatable Restraint Systems ASME Publication AMD-Vol. 106 and BED-Vol. 12 Dec 1989
- ISO Technical Report 10982 Road Vehicles-Test Procedures for Evaluating Out-of-Position Vehicle Occupant Interactions with Deploying Air Bags March 15 1998
- Lau, I. V. Viano, D. C. The Viscous Criterion -Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues SAE Paper 861882 1986
- Minitab Statistical Software Minitab Inc Release 12 for Windows 1997
- Hamilton, Lawrence C. Regression with Graphics: A Second Course in Applied Statistics Duxbury Press, Wadswoth Publishing Company 1992
- VsafeOptimizer Ford Motor Company Proprietary Software 1999