This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Verification of a Computer Simulation Model of Motorcycle-to-Vehicle Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to establish a systematic approach to the study on the injuries sustained by motorcycle riders in accidents and the assessment of protective devices fitted to motorcycles, this research develops a computer simulation model of motorcycle-to-vehicle collision model based on multibody kinematics and dynamics using MADYMO (MAthematical DYnamic MOdel). The effectiveness of the motorcycle-to-vehicle crash model is verified using data of 14 full-scale tests. Comparisons between the simulation peak head acceleration results and the full-scale crash tests data demonstrate a satisfactory agreement between them. The simulation results along with the test data indicate that the leg protectors fitted to the motorcycle can induce harmful consequences to the rider head in some configurations, regardless of their aimed protective effects on the rider’s legs. The findings obtained in this study also provide basis for further improvement of the current model.
CitationWang, Y. and Sakurai, M., "Development and Verification of a Computer Simulation Model of Motorcycle-to-Vehicle Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0719, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0719.
- ISO 13232, Motorcycles - Test and Analysis Procedures for Research Evaluation of Rider Crash Protective Devices Fitted to Motorcycle December 1996
- Kebschull, S. Zellner, J. Van Auken, M. Rogers, N. Injury Risk/Benefit Analysis of Motorcyclist Protective Devices Using Computer Simulation and ISO13232 16th ESV Conference, Paper No. 98-S10-W-26 June 1998
- Rogers, N. Zellner, J. An Overall Evaluation of UKDS Motorcyclist Leg Protectors Based on ISO 13232 16th ESV Conference, Paper No. 98-S10-O-13 June 1998
- Rogers, N. Zellner, J. Application of ISO 13232 to Motorcyclist Protective Device Research 15th ESV Conference, Paper No. 96-S7-O-10 May 1996
- Bakker, E. Pacejka, H.B. Linder, L. A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies SAE Paper No. 890087 1989
- Bakker, E. Nyborg, L. Pacejka, H.B Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies SAE Paper No. 870421 1987
- Wang, Y.Q. Tamura, Y. Ishikawa, H. Development of a 3D Simulation Model of Vehicle to Bridge Railing Crash - A Computer Aided Approach to Bridge Railing Stiffness Design Transportation Research Board 77th Annual Meeting Washington, D.C. Jan. 11-15, 1998 Paper No. 980217