This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Cycle Fatigue of Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Calculation and Measurement of Strain under Fired Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The problem of cracks in cylinder heads due to low cycle fatigue (thermal fatigue) is well known for engines with high specific power output. However it is still difficult to predict the lifetime of a new cylinder head due to the number of influencing parameters and the complexity of material behavior. Better understanding of cylinder head fatigue can improve the development process of a new engine concerning CAE as well as mechanical testing efficiency.
Therefore a CAE tool which can calculate strains and stresses as a function of time for a defined operating cycle of the engine was developed. In parallel a measuring technique was developed which allows to measure strains on the surface of the combustion chamber side of the cylinder head during fired engine operation.
For different Aluminum-Silicon casting alloys the material behavior was described in the Finite Element Program ABAQUS by a nonlinear kinematic / isotropic hardening model. The numerical parameters were determined by measurement results. The cyclic thermal load (55°C - 210°C.) was applied to the assembled cylinder head FE-model.
A strain gage application was developed which allows dynamic strain and surface temperature measurements during fired engine operation. The results are used for comparison to and calibration of the calculations. More-over they can serve to optimize thermo-shock-test cycles. The measured time behavior of the material strains makes it possible to optimize the hot and cold cycle duration of thermo-shock tests regarding complete test duration and lifetime validity.
In this paper, the potential for improving of the numerical model is discussed and the successful use of conventional strain gages during fired engine operation is described. A comparison of calculated and measured strain in a temperature cycle validates the results.
- Franz Koch - FEV Motorentechnik, Neuenhofstraße 181, 52078 Aachen, Germany
- Franz Maassen - FEV Motorentechnik, Neuenhofstraße 181, 52078 Aachen, Germany
- Udo Deuster - FEV Motorentechnik, Neuenhofstraße 181, 52078 Aachen, Germany
- Malte Loeprecht - VKA Lehrstuhl für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen, RWTH Aachen, 52056 Aachen, Germany
- Henning Marckwardt - VKA Lehrstuhl für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen, RWTH Aachen, 52056 Aachen, Germany
CitationKoch, F., Maassen, F., Deuster, U., Loeprecht, M. et al., "Low Cycle Fatigue of Aluminum Cylinder Heads - Calculation and Measurement of Strain under Fired Operation," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0645, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0645.
- Takahashi Koike A. Sasakilnelastic K. Behavior and Low Cycle Farigue of Aluminum Alloy Subjected to Thermo-Mechanical Loading SAE-Paper 98068
- Gundlach Ross B. Hetke A. Valtierra S. Mojica J.F. Thermal Fatigue Resistance of Hypoeutectic Aluminum- Silicon Casting Alloys AFS Transactions 94 -141 205 223
- Howes A Study of Thermal Fatigue Mechanisms 1976 86 101
- Aluminiumguß Vorhaben 1994
- Seeliger Andreas Schmitz Jörg Zylinderkopfdichtungen Martin Ahrens etallische 1996
- Dabayeh Xu R.X. Du B.P. Topper T. H.
- Fatigue of Cast Aluminum Alloys under Constant and Variable-Amplitude Loading Department of Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3G1 Elsevier Science
- Stevens et al. Low Cycle Fatigue of A356-T6 Cast Aluminum Alloy - A Round Robin Test Program SAE Technical Paper No. 881701 1988
- Jonason P. Thermal Fatigue of Cylinder Head Alloys AFS Transactions 100 1992 601 607
- Ohguchi, K. Sasaki, K et al. Prediction of Fatigue failure of 60n-40Pb Solder Using Constitutive Model for Cyclic Viscoplasticity JSME 1996 500 506
- Manson, S. S. Thermal Stress and Low Cycle Fatigue Mc Graw-Hill New York 1966
- Jaske Thermal - Mechanical, Low-Cycle Fatigue of AlSI 1010 Steel, Symposium American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia, Pa. 17-18 Nov. 1975
- Weronski Andrzej Hejwowski Tadeusz Thermal Fatigue of Metals Technical University of Lublin lublin, poland Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, Basel, Hong Kong
- HIBBIT, KARLSSON & SORENSON ABAQUS/Standard, Users Manual I-III
- HIBBIT, KARLSSON & SORENSON ABAQUS/Standard, Theory Manual
- HIBBIT, KARLSSON & SORENSON ABAQUS/Standard, Example Problems I-II
- Procter High temperature creep strain measurements using a capacitance type strain gage 1984 101 107
- Wu Tsen-tai Ma Liang-cheng Zhao Lin-bao Development of Temperature-compensated Resistance Strain Gages for Use to 700°C Experimental Mechanics March 1981 117 123