This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A three-dimensional V-Ribbed belt model was developed for use in the prediction of out of plane forces and displacements. A two dimensional model was first created to assist in developing the techniques needed to build the three dimensional model. A non-ribbed three-dimensional model was then developed to minimize the computer time needed to run the simulations. This belt model was used along with both frontside and backside pulleys to stretch the belt into position from its original round configuration. This model was also used for movement of the pulleys into or out of the belt plane, and toe and camber movements were applied to the pulleys.
The knowledge gained from the first two models was then used to construct a program to generate the ribbed three-dimensional belt and pulleys. The models generated incorporated up to eight ribs and as many as nine pulleys in any model. In addition to the stretching of the belt and the out of plane movements, rotation of the belt and pulley model was also included. From these models the out of plane forces generated between frontside pulleys and the belt were then determined. The displacement of the belt against the backside pulleys was also found.
CitationSloan, C., Chandrashekhara, K., Breig, W., and Oliver, L., "Simulation of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0642, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0642.
- Connell J.E. Rorrer R. A. L. “Friction-Induced Vibration in V-Ribbed Belt Applications,” ASME DE 49 75 85 1992
- Connell J. E. Meckstroth R. J. “Influence of Pulley Profile on Automotive Accessory Drive Noise,” SAE Paper No. 940688 1994
- Meckstroth R. J. Ahoor R. “Belt Tracking Experiments,” SAE Pulley Committee Meeting 1990
- Eck Steve Herman Daryl “Belt Tracking Study: Ford 4.6L-4V Modular Engine (FN10) Tensioner System,” Dayco Technical Report No. 1508 Springfield MO 1989
- Gross R. Meckstroth R. “V-Ribbed Belt Backside Pulley Belt Mistracking,” SAE 98PC-71 1998
- Lawrence T. J. P. Wilson F. P. “Verified Predictive Design of Poly-V[TM] Belts Using ABAQUS/Explicit,” 10th UK ABAQUS User Group Meeting TWI Abingdon, Cambridge UK 21st Sept. 1995
- HKS, ABAQUS Version 5.7 Hibbet, Karlsson & Sorenson, Inc. 1997