This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Method for Dynamic Out-of-Position Crash Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The on-going industry effort to improve air bag systems for out-of-position occupants has created the need to reexamine the existing design criteria and development means to be used in the implementation of advanced air bag technologies. Development procedures and test techniques must be augmented to include appropriate testing of the out-of-position occupant.
This paper will review the development of a unique dynamic test fixture and test methodology to simulate the pre-deployment movement of an occupant concantenated with a conventional crash pulse on a HYGE sled. This test methodology provides for efficient development of dynamic occupant tracking systems, biomechanic algorithms and restraint system controls.
CitationFrech, H., Burley, E., Hill, T., Rossey, M. et al., "Simulation Method for Dynamic Out-of-Position Crash Tests," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0638, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0638.
- Musiol,J.,Norgan-Curtiss,L.andWilkins,M., “Control and Application of Intelligent Restraint Systems.”, SAE Paper # 971052, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warren-dale, PA, 1997.
- Notice of Proposed Rule Making for Advanced Air Bags, 49 CFR Parts 571, 585, 587 and 595; Docket No. NHTSA 984405; Notice 1 RIN 2127-AG 70.
- Takeda,H. and Kobayashi,S. “Injuries to Children from Air bag Deployment.” SAE Paper #806030, 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA 1980.
- Stalnacker,R., Klusmeyer,L., Peel,H., White,C., Smith,G., and Mertz,H., “Unrestrained, Front Seat, Child Surrogate Trajectories Produced By Hard Braking”’ SAE Paper # 821165, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale , PA, 1982.
- Klopp,G.,Crandall,J.Sieveka,E. and Pilkey,W., “Simulation of Muscle Tensing in Pre-Impact Bracing”, 1995 Ircobi International Conference.
- Kaleps,I., and Marcus,J., “Predictions of Child Motion During Panic Braking and Impact.” SAE Paper # 821166, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1982.
- Melvin,J., Horsch,J., McCleary,J., Wideman,L., Jensen,J., and Wolanin,M., “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid III Dummy.” SAE Paper # 933119, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warren-dale, PA, 1993.