This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Multiple Spark Discharge on the Cold-Startability of an E85 Fueled Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes experiments conducted to determine the effect of multiple spark discharge ignition systems and spark plug electrode design on cold start performance of a dedicated E85 fueled vehicle. Tests were conducted using three different ignition configurations: OEM ignition and spark plugs, multiple spark discharge ignition with OEM spark plugs, and multiple spark discharge ignition with large gap circular electrode spark plugs. The multiple spark discharge ignition with OEM spark plugs showed a significant improvement in cold start performance over the OEM ignition, but the addition of the circular electrode spark plugs caused a decrease in cold start performance. The circular ground spark plugs did produce a higher ending coolant temperature than either of the other configurations.
CitationDavis, G., Bouboulis, J., and Heil, E., "The Effect of Multiple Spark Discharge on the Cold-Startability of an E85 Fueled Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0609, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0609.
- Davis G. W. Baker M. Celmins J. Jordan C. Wykes E. “The Kettering University Ethanol Challenge Vehicle” SAE Special Publication SP-1253 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1999
- Spark Plug Diagram http://www.toruemaster.com 1998
- Dasch C.J. Brinkman N.D. Hopper D.H. “Cold Starts Using M-85 (85% Methanol): Coping with Low Fuel Volatility and Spark Plug Wetting” SAE Paper # 910865 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1991
- Gardiner D.P. Rao V.K. Bardon M.F. Dale J.D. Smy P.R. Haley R.F. Dawe J.R. Battista V. “Sub-Zero Cold Starting of a Port-Injected M100 Engine Using Plasma Jet Ignition and Prompt EGR” SAE Paper # 930331 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1993
- Gardiner D.P. Mallory R.W. Pucher G.R. Todesco M.K. Bardon M.F. Battista V. “Experimental Studies Aimed at Lowering the Electrical Energy Requirements of a Plasma Jet Ignition System for M100 Fuelled Engines” SAE Paper # 961989 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1996