This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Precision Engine Cooling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although successful “precision cooled” prototype engines have been demonstrated, the design of most mainstream coolant jackets has evolved only cautiously, and lacked this major change in approach.
The achievements and potential of precision cooling are reviewed, along with an extension into nucleate boiling based heat transfer. It is demonstrated that ideas for advanced “external” cooling systems with low flowrates are in fact extremely compatible with the “internal” precision engine cooling philosophy, and in combination promise even larger benefits.
CitationRobinson, K., Campbell, N., Hawley, J., and Tilley, D., "A Review of Precision Engine Cooling," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0578, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0578.
- Priede T Anderton D “Likely Advances in Mechanics, Cooling, Vibration and Noise of Automotive Engines” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 198D 7 1984
- Finlay, IC Gallacher, GR Biddulph TW Marshall RA “The Application Of Precision Cooling to the Cylinder Head of a Small Automotive Petrol Engine” SAE 880263
- Ernest R “A Unique Cooling Approach Makes Aluminium Alloy Cylinder Heads Cost Effective” SAE Passenger Car Meeting Sept 28 1977
- Moore CH McAvoy PC “Effect of Cylinder Head Design on Heat Rejection and Durability for High Speed Diesel Engines” Proc. Practical Limits of Efficiency of Engines IMechE 13-11-86
- Clough MJ “Precision Cooling of a Four Valve per Cylinder Engine” SAE 931123
- Huttner T Hancock J “Design and Evaluation of a Low Emission Spark Ignition Engine Cylinder Head” SAE 960605
- Kobayashi, H Yoshimura K Hirayama T “A Study on Dual Circuit Cooling for Higher Compression Ratio” SAE 841294
- Iwashita, Y Kanda, M Kartagiri, H Yokoi Y “Improvement of Coolant Flow for Reducing Knock” IMechE Autotech 1989
- Campbell, NAF Tilley, DG MacGregor, SA Wong L “Incorporating Nucleate Boiling in a Precision Cooling Strategy for Combustion Engines” SAE 971791
- Owen, NJ Robinson K Jackson NS “Quality Assurance for Combustion Chamber Thermal Boundary Conditions - A Combined Experimental and Analytical Approach” SAE 931139
- Norris, PM Wepfer, WJ Hoag KL Coutine-White D “Experimental and Analytical Studies of Cylinder Head Cooling” SAE 931122
- Couetouse H Gentile D “Cooling System Control in Automotive Engines” SAE 920788
- Finlay, IC Harris, D Boam DJ Parks BI “Factors influencing Combustion Chamber Wall Temperatures in a Liquid Cooled, Automotive Spark Ignition Engine” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 199 D3 1985
- Pretscher M Ap NS “Nucleate Boiling Engine Cooling System - Vehicle Study” SAE 931132
- Gentile D Zidat S “Advanced Engine Cooling System” SAE 925066
- Ap NS Golm NC “New Concept of Engine Cooling System (Newcool)” SAE 971775
- Willumeit, HP Steinberg, P Hoetting, H Scheibner B Lee W “New Temperature Control Criteria for More Efficient Gasoline Engines” SAE 841292
- Krause W Spies KH “Dynamic Control of Coolant Temperature for a Reduction of Fuel Consumption and Hydrocarbon Emission” SAE 960271