This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sequential Multipoint Trans-Valve-Injection for Natural Gas Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sequential multipoint portinjection of compressed natural gas (CNG) offers several advantages to CNG-engines. With the Trans-Valve-Injection system (TVI) a high speed gas jet is pulsed from the intake port through the open intake valve into the combustion chamber, where it causes effects of turbulence and charge stratification particularly at engine part load operation.
The system is able to diminish the cyclic variations and to expand the limit of lean operation of the engine. The flexibility of gas pulse timing offers the potential advantage of lower emissions and fuel consumption.
The TVI-System including special two-stage injectors was developed at Lucerne School of Engineering. In the present project this system was tested on a 2.8 litre natural aspirated CNG-IVECO-engine, at the Biel School of Engineering, Switzerland.
CitationCzerwinski, J., Comte, P., Janach, W., and Zuber, P., "Sequential Multipoint Trans-Valve-Injection for Natural Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0565, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0565.
- Bach Ch. Heeb N. Mattrel P. Mohr M. Wirkungsorientierte Bewertung von Automobilabgasen EMPA Switzerland Januar 1998
- Kubesh J. T. Podnar D. J. Ultra Low Emissions and High Efficiency from an On-Highway Natural Gas Engine SAE Paper 981394 Southwest Research Institute
- Bhargava S. Clark N. N. Hildebrand M. W. Exhaust Gas Recirculation in a Lean-Burn Natural Gas Engine SAE Paper 981395 West Virginia University
- Zhang F-R. Okamoto K. Morimoto S. Shoji F. Methods of Increasing the BMEP (Power Output) for Natural Gas Spark Ignition Engines SAE Paper 981385 Tokyo Gas Co. Ltd.
- Heini K. Janach W. The „Trans-Valve-Injection” System for Natural Gas Engines MTZ 57 1996 12 668
- Janach W. Nager E. Sequential Injection of Natural Gas for Heavy Duty Engines 3 rd International Conference on IC-Engines Capri-Naples September 1997
- Hunziker A. Krähenbühl P. August-September 1997
- Stadler J. Emmenegger R. August-September 1998