This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Cavitation in a Vertical Multi-Hole Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An enlarged transparent model of a six-hole vertical diesel injector has been used to allow visualization of the flow at Reynolds and cavitation numbers matching those of real size injectors operating under normal Diesel engine conditions. The visualization system comprised a CCD camera, high-magnification lenses and a spark light source which allowed high-resolution images to be obtained. The flow conditions examined in terms of flow rates and pressures covered the range from low to full load of the real size injector while the needle lift position corresponded to that of full lift of the first- and second- stage in two-stage injectors. In addition, different values of needle eccentricity were tested in order to examine its effect on the cavitation structures within the injection holes.
From this investigation two different types of cavitation were identified: cavitation originating at the entrance to the injection holes and cavitation strings formed inside the sac volume and linking adjacent holes. In the former case, the flow pattern mainly depended on the cavitation rather than the Reynolds number as well as on the needle eccentricity. Different types of cavitation structure were identified varying from incipient bubbly flow to plug-type cavitation films and fully separated flow. In addition to hole cavitation, cavitation strings were found to form transiently inside the sac volume. As these cavitation strings were convected by the mean flow towards the injection holes, they were interacting transiently with the pre-existing cavitation structures resulting in a rather chaotic hole flow pattern. Since this phenomenon was found not to occur simultaneously in all injection holes, transient differences in the flow exiting the different injection holes were observed.
Overall, the results revealed that the flow development in multi-hole vertical nozzles, despite the axisymmetric geometry, may lead to hole-to-hole flow variations as a result of the transient nature of the cavitating structures formed inside the sac volume and holes.
CitationArcoumanis, C., Flora, H., Gavaises, M., Kampanis, N. et al., "Investigation of Cavitation in a Vertical Multi-Hole Injector," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0524, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0524.
- Boehner W. and Hummel K. “Common rail injection system for commercial Diesel vehicles”, SAE Paper 970345, 1997.
- Guerrasi N. and Dupraz P. “A common rail injection system for high speed direct injection Diesel engines”, SAE Paper 980803, 1998.
- He L. and Ruiz F. “Effect of cavitation on flow and turbulence in plain orifices for high speed atomization”, Atomization and Sprays, vol. 5, pp. 569-584, 1995.
- Tamaki N., Shimizu M., Nishida K. and Hiroyasu H. “Effects of cavitation and internal flow on atomization of a liquid jet”, Atomization and Sprays, vol.8, pp. 179-197, 1998.
- Zhen H., Yiming S., Shiga S., Nakamura H., Karasawa T. “The orifice flow pattern, pressure characteristics, and their effects on the atomization of fuel containing dissolved gas”, Atomization and Sprays, vol. 4, pp. 123-133, 1994.
- Park B.S. and Lee S.Y. “An experimental investigation of the flash atomization mechanism”, Atomization and sprays, vol. 4, pp. 159-179, 1994.
- Santangelo P.J. and Sojka P.E. “A holographic investigation of the near - nozzle structure of an effervescent atomizer - produced spray”, Atomization and sprays, Vol. 5, pp. 137-155, 1995.
- Arcoumanis C. and Gavaises M. “Linking nozzle flow with spray characteristics in a diesel fuel injection system”, Atomisation and Sprays, vol. 8, pp. 307-347, 1998
- Arcoumanis C., Gavaises M. and French V. “Effect of fuel injection processes on the structure of Diesel sprays, SAE Paper 970799, 1997.
- Chaves H., Bode J., Hentschel W., Kubitzek A., Obermeier F., Schindler K.P., Schneider T. “Fuel spray in Diesel engines Part I: spray formation”, Proceedings of the 3rd Int. Conf. Innovation and Reliability in Automotive Design and Testing, paper 2.6.2, 1995.
- Arcoumanis C., Nouri J.M. and Andrews R.J. “Application of refractive index matching to a diesel nozzle internal flow”, Proc. IMechE Seminar on Diesel Fuel Injection Systems, April 14-15, 1992.
- Arcoumanis C., Gavaises M. Nouri J.M., Wahab E. and Horrocks R., “Analysis of the flow in the nozzle of a vertical multi-hole Diesel engine injector”, SAE Paper 980811, 1998.
- Date K., Nobechi H., Kano H., Kato M., and Oya T.. “Experimental analysis of fuel flow characteristics in the nozzle for direct injection engines”, SAE Paper 931002, 1993.
- Hiroyasu H., Arai M. and Shimizu M. “Break-up length of a liquid jet and internal flow in a nozzle” ICLASS-91 Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A. July 1991.
- Kato M., Kano H., Date K., Oya T. and Niizuma K.“Flow analysis in nozzle hole in consideration of cavitation”, SAE Paper 970052, 1997.
- Kim J-H., Nishida K., Yoshizaki T. and Hiroyasu H. “Characterization of flows in the sac chamber and the discharge hole of a DI Diesel injection nozzle by using a transparent model nozzle” SAE Paper 972942, 1997.
- Knox-Kelecy A.L. and Farrell P.V. “Spectral characteristics of turbulent flow in a ccale model of a Diesel fuel injector nozzle”, SAE Paper 930924, 1993.
- Soteriou C.C.E., Andrews R.J., and Smith M. “Direct injection Diesel sprays and the effect of cavitation and hydraulic flip on atomization”, SAE Paper 950080, 1995.
- Yule A.J., Dalli A.M. and Yeong K.B. “Transient cavitation and separation in a scaled-up model of a VCO orifice”, ILASS Conf., July 6-8, Manchester U.K., 1998
- Soteriou C., Smith M., Andrews R. “Diesel injection - laser light sheet illumination of the development of cavitation in orifices”, IMechE C529/018/98, 1998
- Badock C., Wirth R., Kampmann S. and Tropea C. “Fundamental Study of the Influence of cavitation on the internal flow and atomization of Diesel sprays”, ILASS Conf., July 8-10, Florence, 1997
- Dan T., Yamamoto T., Senda J. and Fujimoto H. “Effect of nozzle configuration for characteristics of non-reacting Diesel fuel spray”, SAE Paper 970355, 1997
- Chaves H., Knapp M., Kubitzek A., Obermeier F., and Schneider T. “Experimental study of cavitation in the nozzle hole of Diesel injectors using transparent nozzles”, SAE Paper 950290, 1995
- Chaves H. and Obermeier F. “Correlation between light absorption signals of cavitating nozzle flow within and outside of the hole of a transparent diesel injection nozzle”, ILASS Conf., July 6-8, Manchester U.K., 1998
- Badoch H., Wirth R., Fath A. and Leipertz A. “Application of laser light sheet technique for the investigation of cavitation phenomena in real size diesel injection nozzles”, ILASS Conf., July 6-8, Manchester U.K., 1998
- Trevena D.H. Cavitation & tension in liquids, Adam Hilger Ltd., 1987
- Knapp R.T., Daily J.W., Hammit F.G. Cavitation, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1970
- Minami K. and Shoham O. “Transient two-phase flow behaviour in pipelines - experiment and modeling”, Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 739-752, 1994
- Domnick J. and Durst F. “Measurement of bubble size, velocity and concentration in flashing flow behind a sudden constriction”, Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 21, No 6, pp. 1047-1062, 1995
- Okajima M., Kato M., Kano H., Tojo S., and Katagiri M. “Contribution of optimum nozzle design to injection rate control”, SAE Paper 910185, 1991
- Bergwerk W. “Flow pattern in diesel nozzle spray holes”, Proc. Instn. Mech Engrs, Vol 173, No 25, pp 655-674, 1959
- Ohrn T.R., Senser D.W., and Lefebvre A.H. “Geometrical effects on discharge coefficients for plain - orifice atomizers”, Atomization and Sprays, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 137-153, 1991
- Spikes R.H. and Pennington G.A. “Discharge coefficient of small submerged orifices”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Vol 173, No 25, pp 661-674, 1959
- Abraham F.F. Homogeneous nucleation theory. Academic Press, 1974
- Brennen C.E. Cavitation and bubble dynamics, Oxford University Press, 1995
- Carey V.P., Liquid-vapor phase-change phenomena, Hemishre Publishing Corporation, 1992
- Hsu Y-Y. and Graham R.W. Transport processes in boiling and two-phase systems, Hemisphere puplishing corporation, 1976
- Stralen S. and Cole R. Boiling phenomena, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, 1979
- Carpenedo L., Cluti P. and Iernetti G. “Cavitation nuclei distribution in liquids by tensile strength measurements”, Acoustics Letters, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 50-55, 1983
- Finkelstein Y. and Tamir A. “Formation of gas bubbles in supersaturated solutions of gases in water”, AIChE J. Vol. 31, No 9, pp. 1409-1419, 1985
- Hentschel W., Zarschizky H. and Lauterborn W. “Recording and automatical analysis of pulced off-axis holograms for determination of cavitation nuclei size spectra”, Optics Communications, Vol. 53, No 2, pp. 69-73, 1985
- Neppiras E.A. and Nolting B.E. “Cavitation produced by ultrasonics: Theoritical conditions for the onset of cavitation”, Proc. Phys. Soc., Vol 64, 12-B, pp. 1032-1038, 1951
- Nolting B.E. and Neppiras E.A. “Cavitation produced by ultrasonics”, Proc. Phys. Soc., Vol 63 9-B, pp. 674-685, 1950
- Al-Hayes R.A.M. and Winterton R.H.S. “Bubble diameter on detachment in flowing liquids” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 24, pp.223-230, 1981
- Kenning D.B.R. and Del Valle V.H.M. “Fully developed nucleate boiling: overlap of areas of infuence and interference between bubble sites”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 24, No 6, pp. 1025-1032,1981
- Mei R., Chen W. and Klausner J. “Vapor bubble growth in heterogeneous boiling - I. Growth rate and thermal effects”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 38, No 5, pp. 921-934, 1995
- Mei R., Chen W. and Klausner J. “Vapor bubble growth in heterogeneous boiling - I. Formulation”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 38, No 5, pp. 909-919, 1995
- Yang S.R. and Kim R.H.“A mathematical model of the pool boiling nucleation site density in terms of the surface characteristics”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 31, No 4, pp. 1127-1135, 1988
- Duraiswami R. and Chahine G.L. “Analytical study of a gas bubble in the flow field of a line vortex”, FED-Vol. 135, pp. 69-76, Cavitation and Multiphase Flow Forum, ASME 1992
- Lush P.A. “Cavity dynamics in a duct flow”, C191/83@IMechE, 1983
- Nigmatulin R.I., Khabeev N.S. and Nagiev F.B. “Dynamics, heat and mass transfer of vapor-gas bubbles in a liquid”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 1033-1044, 1981
- Plesset M.S. “The dynamics of cavitation bubbles”, J. Applied Mechanics, pp. 277-282, 1949
- Plesset M.S. and Prosperetti A. “Bubble dynamics and cavitation”, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech, Vol. 9, pp. 145-185, 1977
- Young F.R. Cavitation, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1989
- Feng Z.C. and Leal L.G. “Nonlinear bubble dynamics”, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., Vol. 29, pp. 201-243, 1997
- Boulton-Stone J.M. and Blake J.R. “Gas bubbles bursting at a free surface”, JMF, Vol. 254, pp. 437-466, 1993
- Fujikawa S. and Akamatsu T. “Effects of non-equilibrium condensation of vapour on the pressure wave produced by the collapse of a bubble in a liquid”, JFM, Vol. 97, part 3, pp. 481-512, 1980
- D'Agostino L. and Brennen C. “Linearized dynamics of spherical bubble clouds”, JFM, Vol. 199, pp. 155-176, 1989
- Rubistein J. “Bubble interaction effects on waves in bubbly liquids”, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. Vol 77, No 6, pp. 2061-2066, 1985
- Takahira H., Akamatsu T. and Fujikawa S. “Some analytical aspects on the dynamics of a cluster of bubbles”, IMechE C453/016, pp. 9-15, 1992
- Sadhal S.S., Ayyaswamy P.S. and Chung J.N. Transport phenomena with drops and bubbles, Springer-Verlag New York Inc., 1997
- Clift R., Grace J.R., Weber M.E. Bubbles, drops, and particles, Academic Press, Inc., 1978
- Nigmatulin R.I. Dynamics of multiphase media, Revised and Augmented ed., Vol. 1, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, New York, 1991. Originally published by Nauka Moscow under the title: Dinamika Mnogofaznyky Sred
- Collier J.G. and Thome J. Convective boiling and condensation, Oxford University Press, 1997
- Whalley P.B. Boiling, condensation and gas-liquid flow, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1987
- Ming-Chia Lai Wang T-C., Xie X., Han J-S, Henein N., Schwarz E. and Bryzik W. “Microscopic characterization of diesel sprays at VCO nozzle exit”, SAE Paper 982542, 1998
- Kim J.H., Nishida K. and Hiroyasu H. “Characteristics of the internal flow in a diesel injection nozzle”, ICLASS 97, Seoul, 1997